Where did you buy your headliner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
Who makes a good headliner? Nice quality? Easy DIY install?

Got a link? Thanks :mrgreen:

Oops, shoulda put this in the interior section. Sorry! I'm learning slowly

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Are you looking for a complete one or just the material? JoAnn fabrics has really nice headliner material (yes it's actually called that, lol). It's foam backed so all you need to do is glue it to your board. I have had mine in my malibu for about 5 years or so, still looks good, except for where I used crap glue, but that's my fault, :lol: .

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
Oldsmoletick said:
Are you looking for a complete one or just the material?

I guess I'll do whatever you guys have done. I like the idea of going to Joann and cutting to fit though. But my "board" shattered when I removed it (was already cracked up anyhow)

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
I am looking for new headliner material as well. Can Joann's fabric get most of GM's colors? Do you just order the material and cut to fit or is it made model specific? I am looking for burgundy/maroon with factory moonroof opening.

Chris

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I just did mine about 2 weeks ago. its a little time consuming.

you can try using duct tape to put the board back together. if its shot completely look to spend about $200+ for a new one.

I spent about $30 in fabric at joanns, and $10 on a can of 3M super adhesive.

I took the board out. took off the old foam. cleaned to perfectly with a wire brush. the better the cleaning the better chance the glue has to stick to the actual board. let it set and dry for a day or 2.

I also reinforced the corners and cracks on mine with duct just in case

I went from a sagging dirty white headliner to a black one.

im in the process now of making the interior black, just got my black carpet but im putting por-15 on the floorboards before they get bad. thats alot of work getting 32 year old paint off.

I got 2 yards (6 feet) of fabric. There are coupons out there too btw.

suffrn, its cut to fit.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
motorholmes said:
Oldsmoletick said:
Are you looking for a complete one or just the material?

I guess I'll do whatever you guys have done. I like the idea of going to Joann and cutting to fit though. But my "board" shattered when I removed it (was already cracked up anyhow)

Most crack in the corners where the sunvisors are, where the hump in the liner is from front to back and again where the coathooks are.
To repair these cracks and even missing chunks is surprising easy. Duct-tape the backside so all the pieces are firmly back together matching the original contour ( THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND WILL SAVE MUCH CURSING AND SANDING LATER ). Then purchase a small boat repair kit from Pep Boys, CDN Tire, Princess Auto, Autobodyshop ect..... It should be $20 or less and will include some fibreglass matting, resin and hardener. It's the matting that gives the foamboard the strength so don't skimp out and put a couple layers on the backside of your repair. Follow the instructions of the kit to use the resin and fibreglass matting on both the frontside and again the backside to make a strong repair. Take your time and complete 1 side at a time preferable leaving a day between repairing each side. Be sure the repair is 4-6 inches larger than the break in your board. Once dry sand the interior side down ( hopefully you were smooth with the resin and matting so not much sanding is required ) with 80 then 120 grit sandpaper. You will end up with a stronger surface than the foam core board you started with to attach your headliner fabric to. Don't be tempted to resin the whole board as you need the "FLEX" in the foamcore to reinstall your headliner.

I actually did this to my Monte a couple weeks ago. Liner cracked and the sunvisor section of the board stayed in the car when the rest came out. Resin and glassed it back together and it's like new. However I tried to recover my own headliner at the same time and it didn't turn out as planned. I spent $ 50.00 in glue and $ 75.00 in material ( both from Fabricland ) and I was not 100% happy with the results. I brought the visors to the auto upholstery shop around the corner from work as they were giving me a hard time and I knew he could sew them for me. I showed him my finished result of a headliner and he had a good laugh at my expense. With him I priced the fabric and it is $ 22 / yd ( 2 yards needed to do the liner and visors ) and if I remove the old liner and clean the board he will install the new fabric and sew the visors all for $ 25.00.

Total cost for me to do it $ 125.00 and it looked like crap
Total cost for the pros to do it $ 69.00 ( with me removing and reinstalling the board )

Another lesson learned from the school of hard-knocks ! But it's still much cheaper than ordering a new board !

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
suffrn6 said:
I am looking for new headliner material as well. Can Joann's fabric get most of GM's colors? Do you just order the material and cut to fit or is it made model specific? I am looking for burgundy/maroon with factory moonroof opening.

Chris

Not much choice of colors in house, I never looked into what may be available special order. I know they have black, tan, gray, maroon, and dark blue (depending on store). It's not model specific, it's on a large roll, you grab it off the shelf, bring it to the counter and tell them how long of a piece you need, I usually get two yards, that way I know I'll have enough. It may not be 100% correct in color, but for a daily driver it works just fine, lol.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I removed mine, repaired it, and sent it out to a shop to get recovered. He was out of my color or anything close so he bought a whole roll and charged me $75 to recover it. I had some side trim clips so that was easy, and I found the front trim clips online but the rear wagon clips are impossible to get so I just screwed the rear trim in with small sheetmetal screws. Looks great.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Here is where I bought my ABS covered headliner with matching sun visors. http://www.ecparts.net/mcttabs.htm
It was well worth it compared to trying to repair the dirty, cracked, falling apart stock headliner man that material just crumbled apart and that stuff is itchy! ABS molded plastic is the way to go. No matter how you fix it, glue it, repair it, it will unglue or fall apart again in the future.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Gbodyparts.com

See before and after pics. They speak for themselves

No sense in messing around with the original. New ones are worth the expense.

Attachments

• IMGP1313.JPG
    IMGP1313.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • headliner2.JPG
    headliner2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • headliner1.JPG
    headliner1.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,096
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor