Where do people get these prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
As the title suggests, Where do people get these asking prices? I know inflation is up, but these prices are exaggerating it a little. I spent an hour or so scanning Craigslist tonight and I still can't believe some of the asking prices on there. Among them was a 19 year old F-150 in nice shape for $23,000. Also a 1993 Acura Legend for $12,000, a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado for $18,000 and a run of the mill '84 cutlass with 307 and 7.5 open gears for $15,000. These cars are all worth less than a third of the asking price. I guess they are just trying to find one of those suckers that are born every minute.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Your right joe, Those prices are out of this world. you could say that because the 84 Cutlass
is an antique it might be worth a bit more, but $15K ? NOT.....
I live a stones throw from a ford dealership and I was shocked when I rode through there on a
sunday afternoon just to look around. Bare bones White F 150 short bed work pickup, v6, rubber floor mats,
zero extras, Sure A/C and a stereo, $31K

I guess some people think what they have is golden or something. anybody with half a tool box
in the shed would not pay those prices for any used vehicle....

Nov 4, 2012
Obviously they are in no rush to sell these vehicles seeing as they are expecting 3 times their value. There is a small used car lot On my way to work that puts rediculous prices on things too. They have a '79 Cutlass with a 301 in it. It is the most clapped out car I've ever seen, it wouldn't even make a good parts car. I only stopped to look because it was a G Body. It has a bad frame, bad body, horrible/missing interior, mis-matched wheels, faded and peeling paint and it burns more oil than gasoline. They have a $4,000 sticker price on it! It isn't worth $300, seriously. They also have a $9,000 2001 S10 2wd 4 cyl right now on 'sale'. They have been sitting on it for at least 2 years. Makes you wonder.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I think you answered your own question and no - they aren't selling. I had a 1981 GP LJ 52,000 mi w/ many new part including engine that I had for sale for $4000.00 that took 8 months to sell and I got beat up at that. Just bought a Texas 2002 Sonoma for $2100.00 (which I thought was high) to build a drag truck but worth every penny to me to have it so rust free.
IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i partially blame the auto shows on tv. you know the ones. they buy some pile, spend 20 minutes of tv time polishing the turd and then selling it to some friend of theirs for an outrageous price.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Nice score on the Sonoma.
Check out the door hinges. GM cut the thickness of the metal in half since the G-body days, then welded them to the body so you can't unbolt them to repair them without taking the whole door off. That's on my to-do list for the Bravada this summer. PO never lubed them...

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
Before the wife and kids I owned 4 280z cars. Knew a local guy for parts had 70 in his buildings and grounds. Found a low mile 1980. Decent restoration. Needed paint. Blame these gas monkey shows for 1500.00 interiors and $2000.00 paint jobs. Well total professional make over paint was $9500.00 and interior 2 seats,carpets headliner, rubber seals, door panels and trim was $4800.00. Guy wanted $10,000.00 for the car. Really????? Then asked about a engine $3000.00. Door? $1500.00. Guess what in 15 years he will be dead. Next of kin or eventually a county tax office will spend 2 days with dumpsters junking everything. Life time worth of collecting in one shredded plye off to make toasters. Why I chose a G body olds until I needed tail lights. EBay 500.00 a set. Better off buying a finished product. Rather than a solid project. Since every single nut and bolt someone is waiting to rape you.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There is a local guy parting out a Regal and is also selling some southern doors, his adds have been up for about a year and half now and the doors he wants $400 each and has never dropped the price, I can't justify spending $800 on doors especially since Gbodyparts now sells the bottoms for these so I will just repair mine.
I am guessing these people don't mind sitting on there stuff forever just to get their price for me the purpose selling something is to get rid of it and put money in my pocket.

Nov 4, 2012
There is a local guy parting out a Regal and is also selling some southern doors, his adds have been up for about a year and half now and the doors he wants $400 each and has never dropped the price, I can't justify spending $800 on doors especially since Gbodyparts now sells the bottoms for these so I will just repair mine.
I am guessing these people don't mind sitting on there stuff forever just to get their price for me the purpose selling something is to get rid of it and put money in my pocket.

$400 a piece?! I didn't spend $400 for the pair that I bought and they were completely rust free and included everything, door panels, Windows, hinges, everything. And honestly I thought I paid a little too much for them. All I had to do was disassemble them, scuff them, paint them, and put them back together. No body filler or anything. Sometimes I think these people are just showing off what they have with zero intention of selling it, just letting people know what they think their stuff is worth.

Nov 4, 2012
anybody with half a tool box in the shed would not pay those prices for any used vehicle....

Forget the tool box, anyone with half a brain in their head wouldn't even consider these prices.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but I personally don't think G-Bodies are worth very much, that's kind of why I like them. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of beautiful G-Bodies out there and plenty right here on the forum. I love my car, but is it worth $5000? I don't think so. Would I sell it for $5,000 or less? Absolutely not. Do I have more than $5,000 invested in it? By a country mile. The thing is, I understand what it is actually worth, and what it is worth to me, which is a lot more than its actual value. And I wouldn't try to sell it to someone else for what it is worth to me. Not that I'm selling it, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor