Where does the engine go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barncar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Miamisburg, OH
I got the 3.8L/TH200 out of the '84 Cutlass, and suddenly I see way more holes than I am used to seeing for locating the motor mounts. I know I can use Monte Carlo mounts, that isn't a problem, and I have a set of clamshells for the block... But I have too many holes for me to just guess about where the mounts go, and I don't want to have to put 'em in more than once.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA

barncar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Miamisburg, OH
Yeah... I have 3 sets of mounts for different cars and different engines, and the Buick 3.8 mounts are definetly wrong. The 2.8L and 4.3L S-10 mounts I had laying around are close, but not wide enough. I can get the Monte Carlo mounts for about $7 apiece (new!), so I don't see any real trouble with everything except the placement. Thanks for the links!

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Dougfather is right, one hole on the engine mount hangs out slightly past the cross member, so you only use 3 bolts. Its been to long for me to remember which one, but hopefully the links will show you exactly what you need. Good Luck.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
You'll only use 3 of the 4 bolt holes on the mount. The un-used hole will actually hang off the cars frame toward the front of the car.

Just move the mount around 'till 3 holes line up & 1 is hanging off & you'll have figured out the magic combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor