Where is the bet place in the us for a car Guy like me to rase his kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well guy's I've had enough so you tell me we're should I start looking? The people's republic of New Jersey is on my last nerve! 6000 in taxes 6000 in car insurance all the laws protect the criminals and I would need about $1000,000 to start an automotive business were I am. So I'm slowly fixing the house I owe $250,000 if I remodel both bathrooms and the kitchen it will be worth 250,000 so I think I'm close enough to start looking any input would be great thanks guys
Oh my little helper wants to go to Northeast pa were my family lives but there's no dragstrips there lol

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Come to the bluegrass state of KY. We have all the seasons, a great car scene, 1/8 mile strip 15 mins south of Louisville, or a couple 1/4 mile strips throughout the state.
Housing costs are reasonable, taxes are fair (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 if that), insurance isn't bad....just sucks they base the rates off credit. Example: i have two cars with full coverage, the cutlass just has comp until finished, flawless driving record...but because i lost my 1st house due to mold problems the wife and i pay just over $300/month. If it weren't for that the rate would be $175ish...damn conspiracy!

Not to mention, if you stay in the suburban areas you can get decent size plots with room to stretch you're legs. For $250,000 here you can get a REALLY nice setup. Unless you're in a strict HOA neighborhood, you can basically do what you want in regards to messing with cars. There are people cruising through my hood all the time on dirtbikes, go karts, 4 wheelers, muscle cars ripping and running.

Alot of people move to KY from bigger cities...my whole mom's side is from Chicago...all but 1 cousin lives in Louisville now due to the huge decrease in cost of living!

Edit: i forgot to mention....no silly air laws or snuff tests here on cars. Run whatcha brung lol!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think you might know where I'd recommend but Idaho is closed. I got the last spot.
It's a shame that as we get older home just starts feeling less like home.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'm liking what I'm reading so far keep it coming guys I plan to let the wife and kids read this.. I need amunition to plead my case with them lol

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Honestly I can't give much firsthand input on western Idaho as I haven't really established roots yet. I'll just tell you what I know as a newb whose visited a lot over the past few years.
If you like outdoor stuff (hunting, fishing, camping, mountain biking, off-roading, snowmobiling, skiing, etc) then this is a mecca. Also, Firebird Dragstrip is just a few miles outside of Boise and is a well kept and super friendly family owned venue.
Like most places, a hard worker with any marketable skills will be just fine. Since $250k is the aforementioned benchmark, you can buy a pretty respectable place for that. Take your pick of neighborhood life or go a few miles out to get a few acres and spread out. Roads are in great shape with a few exceptions and traffic is rarely bad. Taxes vary by county and are considerably lower than where I'm leaving in Oregon.
Politics are pretty conservative but people seem to generally stay out of others' business. Every time I've gone over in the last few years to visit I'm struck by how genuinely friendly most people are.

On the flip side, most of Oregon sucks. Think of it as an extension of California. It's gotten really crowded, expensive, self-centered, nosy, greedy, and liberal. It's still a beautiful state but I hardly recognize it anymore. It's like a hot ex-girlfriend who stole your credit cards and banged all your friends.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Honestly I can't give much firsthand input on western Idaho as I haven't really established roots yet. I'll just tell you what I know as a newb whose visited a lot over the past few years.
If you like outdoor stuff (hunting, fishing, camping, mountain biking, off-roading, snowmobiling, skiing, etc) then this is a mecca. Also, Firebird Dragstrip is just a few miles outside of Boise and is a well kept and super friendly family owned venue.
Like most places, a hard worker with any marketable skills will be just fine. Since $250k is the aforementioned benchmark, you can buy a pretty respectable place for that. Take your pick of neighborhood life or go a few miles out to get a few acres and spread out. Roads are in great shape with a few exceptions and traffic is rarely bad. Taxes vary by county and are considerably lower than where I'm leaving in Oregon.
Politics are pretty conservative but people seem to generally stay out of others' business. Every time I've gone over in the last few years to visit I'm struck by how genuinely friendly most people are.

On the flip side, most of Oregon sucks. Think of it as an extension of California. It's gotten really crowded, expensive, self-centered, nosy, greedy, and liberal. It's still a beautiful state but I hardly recognize it anymore. It's like a hot ex-girlfriend who stole your credit cards and banged all your friends.
Sounds like Jersey it's called the garden State because toxic waste and Petro chemical refinery wouldn't fit on a license plate!

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
East coast guys are pretty happy in the carolinas. Trees, green grass, beaches you can swim in april to november without being a Polar bear. Summer is hot/humid for 2 months, but 90% of the rest of the year is shirtsleeves. The whole place is car friendly and even the communist enclaves like Asheville or Columbia have car shows. Unemployment is low and jobs are available. We left because we had a baby and wanted to get back closer to family in the midwest, but schools are much better than they were 15-20 years ago.

Like anywhere, the time to move there was 20 years ago, but its still not bad.

The DFW area of Texas is great, but has become very expensive - houses, insurance and property tax - still probably cheaper than NJ, but way more than we have been paying, because everyone is moving here.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

StreetStock#72

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2017
NC has gotten pretty darn liberal these days with the 'bathroom' law. If you like going in the ladies room (or 4 wide) that might be a good place.
If you don't like men going in the ladies room while your wife (or daughter) is in there.... well, not so much.

I live just a few miles from Brick in Howell on my 8 acre 'hobby farm'. Had over 30 cars (race, street, trucks and some parts cars for Wall Stadium) and 25+ vintage and antique tractors in various states from fully restored to picked over bones.

We loved it !
But ... I had to move to FL. in 03 to get a kidney transplant or stay there and die waiting for a donor. Here in FL there is a 'no helmet' law and well you get the picture.

When I got settled in down here I could not believe the freedom we have. I live in a rural area, 1 mile to the water, 10 miles to the stores like walmart etc.. 2 Drag strips, 2 round tracks are about an hour drive.

Note - It was just as hot in Howell as it was here today.

Only two things suck. Hurricanes and summer humidity. Winter is amazing, we do have seasons, they are just different. we get frost every couple of years.

N.E. PA ? I used to keep my 5th wheel in a campground in the Poconos right near the Speedway. The weather there was horrible Way bigger snow than NJ and hot humid and almost always rainy.

When I look back NJ was a "do what they told ya" state and I was always in a rage chasing (tax) money and avoiding the law..
Couldn't have said it better myself....lol

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Ive lived in Indiana all my life (born in KY) and I have to say most of the state is rural areas where the taxes are cheap and so is insurance and you really don't have to worry about people bothering you. Jobs are on the rise as well which is always important. Ive worked at Cummins for almost 11 years now and we have a hard time just keeping the new people around because they simply don't want to work

Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Canada (but, not the nation's capital of Toronto).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor