Where is the trunk button ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I’m doing some interior work on my 83 cutlass to help with the price of my paint job
one of the items I need to strip is the trunk release wire , there is an orange wire that runs through a heavy plastic sleeve from the latch to in behind backseat, then follows along with the wire harness on drivers side rocker then disappears in behind the dash
I cannot for the life of me find where the button is … or is there even one to be found ?
Would the factory bother running a wire for an option that wasn’t included ?
I don’t think so , but maybe .
Anybody have any suggestions ?
It’s not in glove box that I can see

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Mine have always been in the glove box

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Are you sure you have power trunk release? There needs to be a solenoid bolted to the trunk lid latch. The activation button is in the glove box (yellow)

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I’m doing some interior work on my 83 cutlass to help with the price of my paint job
one of the items I need to strip is the trunk release wire , there is an orange wire that runs through a heavy plastic sleeve from the latch to in behind backseat, then follows along with the wire harness on drivers side rocker then disappears in behind the dash
I cannot for the life of me find where the button is … or is there even one to be found ?
Would the factory bother running a wire for an option that wasn’t included ?
I don’t think so , but maybe .
Anybody have any suggestions ?
It’s not in glove box that I can see I v
n. If you don't have the release button (quarter side yellow plastic) visible when you open the glove box, check if there's a small lamp nestled.in the trunk lid. You might not have noticed it if it was burned out.....

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Mine is to the left of the passenger(wife) ejection seat switch.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
M/Carlo has a yellow button in the glove box that does the deed. Useful to have the lid popper working.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Thanks guys I’ve looked but need better lighting and better eyes lol
So that wire could be for a light ?
I’ll look but don’t remember seeing one
Why not though , that would be perfectly useful !
Also I want say I’m extremely grateful and happy that I found only one very small spot of rust in all my tear down
My stress level is manageable , as I’ve said I’m not a rich man this whole thing is a big deal to me :)

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Are you sure you have power trunk release? There needs to be a solenoid bolted to the trunk lid latch. The activation button is in the glove box (yellow)
Honestly I’m not sure where that would be ?
Beside the latch I presume ?
I couldn’t see in there with my 53 year old eyes and the best lights in town lol
I’ll look again tomorrow eye fatigue won’t be so bad tomorrow :)

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Just throwing this out there, Orange wire should be for a light while the wire for the trunk release if I recall on my SS is black.

Reactions: 4 users

mwjoyce78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2018
New Hampshire
79 USA 1 is correct. Orange wire should be for the trunk light. If the car was optioned with the remote trunk release solenoid it would have a black wire running alongside the orange wire drivers side of vehicle. If you choose to add this option it’s possible and easier when the interior work is done.

There are other threads describing this in the forum. Good luck.

Edit: when the interior is removed… not done

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor