for my 87 el camino
I'm looking at sway bar upgrades. The rear does not have one. Yet

I'm looking for options

Where can I get complete sway bar kits for this car

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If you haven't upgraded the rear lower control arms, you definitely want a "pro touring" style rear sway bar that mounts to the body/frame instead of a factory style rear sway bar which mounts between the lower control arms. Adding a factory style bar at this point will require new LCA's because it will distort and eventually wreck the factory ones.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Ok

Im
If you haven't upgraded the rear lower control arms, you definitely want a "pro touring" style rear sway bar that mounts to the body/frame instead of a factory style rear sway bar which mounts between the lower control arms. Adding a factory style bar at this point will require new LCA's because it will distort and eventually wreck the factory ones.

not against buying new lca's

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Ok

Im not against buying new lca's

I'm not against spending money, I'm just against spends all of my money all at once. The pro-touring style bars have other advantages over the factory style bars but a big one is you can still get by with the factory LCA's for a while longer. They also are adjustable and are more effective than the factory style bars, but not crushing/bending the LCA's is a definite plus.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
I'm not against spending money, I'm just against spends all of my money all at once. The pro-touring style bars have other advantages over the factory style bars but a big one is you can still get by with the factory LCA's for a while longer. They also are adjustable and are more effective than the factory style bars, but not crushing/bending the LCA's is a definite plus.

Ok
Is the lower arm something I can box on my own?
I'm all for saving a few bucks

And I think anything to include the stock f41 rear bar would be better than what I currently have. Which is nothing

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Ok
Is the lower arm something I can box on my own?
I'm all for saving a few bucks

And I think anything to include the stock f41 rear bar would be better than what I currently have. Which is nothing

The bolt holes have to be sleeved before the arms capped or they will still crush... but no amount of boxing will fix the bushing cups from wallowing out the holes in the arms. Making the arms stiffer actually promotes cup wallow. An F41 bar will take a while to wreck the LCAs, but also will keep some under steer.

A big factory style bar that you can steer the car by just thinking about which direction you want to go (or overcome the push generated by big rear tires and small front tires) will crush the factory arms much quicker.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
The bolt holes have to be sleeved before the arms capped or they will still crush... but no amount of boxing will fix the bushing cups from wallowing out the holes in the arms. Making the arms stiffer actually promotes cup wallow. An F41 bar will take a while to wreck the LCAs, but also will keep some under steer.

A big factory style bar that you can steer the car by just thinking about which direction you want to go (or overcome the push generated by big rear tires and small front tires) will crush the factory arms much quicker.

Thanks for the info
This is going to just be a street car to be honest
What's your recommendation for tightening it up some

I'm currently leaning towards this parts list

F41 front and rear bars
Jounce bars
Gp bar
Jeep shaft
800 series gear box
All star pitman arm

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I love my hotchkis stuff but a lil pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor