Where to start? Seems no power to any gauges..or turn signals or dash lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I am no electrician so I am in over my head but I like to learn. Where do I start to solve this problem?

The tach moves when the car runs and when I turn the key on.

All the gauges (1979 Oldsmobile Calais) the needles do NOT move. I installed a new fuel tank
and sending unit, still nothing. When I run the engine for a few minutes, no gauge moves.

I turn the turn signals on and the flashers, they work but do not light up in the dash.

I checked the fust panel with a multimeter where it says gauhes
and have like 11.96 DC volts across the pins and I just installed a new fuse.

So I am out of ideas.............any help is appreciated as well as prayers. Oh my clock works......how funny is that?

Thx AZ

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Did you check all the fuses with a volt meter?
Ground or connector loose at cluster harness

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Okay well that is a start............checkign the grounds..........will do..............thanks................

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Could the plastic wiring circuit behind the dash be cracked and not allowing any power to the gauges?

The car sat for 25 years and I looked for mouse intrusion and all seems to be well. Could the AZ sun make that circuit board so brittle
that it broke?
I may be reaching but when you see anything plastic that has spent time in the sun here AND THE HEAT....it either turns
very brittle or turns to powder.

I may be out in left field shanking fly balls as we Old Skoolers used to say but I had to pose the possibility....

and if it is a possibility then how does one go about finding out? Dash removal? o_O:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor