MONTE CARLO Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2021
Last year I got an '85 Monte Carlo SS.
Electrical issues I noticed right off the bat: windshield washer sprayer not doing anything, wipers only work on two speeds (no intermittent), cruise control appears not to work (same control, figured it's worth mentioning).
I replaced the sprayer pump, no change.
Cam shaft broke, replaced the engine. When I went to pick it up, they told me that the alternator wasn't working, and that the wire from the ignition wasn't sending the signal for the alternator to run.
I ended up just putting a Summit Racing alternator with a 1-wire option in, which seems to be fine overall. I'd definitely prefer to have it wired to the ignition, though.
New issues after the new engine was put in: tach appears to read battery when ignition is the "off" position, stays at zero once started.
I got a cheapo voltage meter that goes in the cigarette lighter. It was holding 14.7 no matter what I was doing for the longest. Now it drops below 12v with the headlights on, sometimes under 11v if I have to use the wipers too.
I have an aftermarket sound system and it doesn't appear to draw anything near what just running the lights does. (like 0.2v).

Battery was replaced when the engine was. I've had issues with the nuts staying tight, and I've had to jump it a few times. They switched it from a top-post to a front-post, and I think there's probably too much movement on the cables.

None of the shops I've talked to locally seem interested in messing with it. I'm pretty sure it used to have nitrous and there's a bunch of random wires just zip-tied in places under the hood. Aftermarket ignition system, too. Don't recall the brand offhand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not averse to just having it rewired from the ground up at this point lol

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Lots of patchwork going on. If you are not inclined to fix it yourself and do the research, continue to try to find a guy to work on it. Take one issue at a time and start with basics. Good luck

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
If you got non factory colored wire (from last owner stuff) get rid of it. Get the wiring diagram and start chasing wires where they start and end. Loose connectors at the battery, start there. Most aftermarket stuff will be your headache. Disconnect everyone of those things and start with the basic function stuff. Check all grounds. Factory harness at the radiator frame, left rear top of engine block, and so on. Harness grounds may look good on the outside but... may no be a clean contact. Good luck.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor