Which 82-88 Cruise Turn Signal Switch Lever Do I Need? Here's some helpful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've seen it a lot over the years. Someone wants to get their "all in one" wiper/cruise lever replaced because the old one crapped out on them. Or it's original and all the lettering is worn off and/or the chrome is peeling. Some people care if they get a GM replacement part, and some people don't give two sh*ts. If you don't give two sh*ts, then you can go ahead and peruse another thread because it talks about things to look for if you choose to find GM levers. Note all the chrome/black levers from GM are discontinued. Correct looking parts need to be purchased on the secondary market.

Which one do I need to buy? I've seen people purchase the "other" part number and end up with the wrong "look" or wrong year. 1983 was the final year for mechanical K35 cruise in the Cutlass. The wiring plug was different starting in 84 with the K34 electronic cruise. Know which type you have.

I'm not going to even bother with the ones that have delay or non-delay wipes that are not equipped with cruise. It's hardly ever was a chosen option and the pickings are far and few between on finding a new non-cruise lever anyway. You can just cut off the wire for the cruise and use one with cruise. It'll still work your wipers and turn signal.

The part numbers have changed over the years, as the appearance of the switches changed. They still function the same, just appearance differences. There's basically 2 different types of wands/levers. The ones with pulse wipers (delay) and the ones without pulse. Easily noted when looking at one by glancing at the wiper speed indicator on the wand itself. If there's "MIST, OFF, LO, HI" printed on it with specific points imprinted on the barrel, it's without delay wipers, obviously. If it has "MIST, OFF, a white stripe band with DELAY printed vertically off to the side, then LO, and HI" it's real easy to figure out this is for your "delay" wiper switch.

Non-Delay (GM part numbers 25031426 for 1982/1983, and 84-up with supersession numbers 25031457, 25075753, 25111261, and 25140376). Later versions of the lever turned all black and then the barrels changed and got fatter. Function remains the same. Some cars are correct with black barrels, but all versions of the G-body Cutlass from 82-88 sported chrome.

1982-83- easy to tell even without a box because of the 3 wire prong on the end. There's no hole in it for the "music wire" to go so you can help pull it through the column. Early 82/83 versions had "lines" to the cruise positions, where later replacement versions had arrows. Factory cars came with the lines. 84-88 cars came with arrows. Also, all factory cruise switches were unprotected with no "ledge" under the slide switch making them more prone to getting caught on something and pulled off.

Factory style 82-83. No ledge under cruise switch and "lines" on cruise positions.
25031426 non delay lever original style.jpg

"smooth" end 82/83
25031426 non delay lever 3 wire plug.jpg

84-88 style with ledge under cruise switch (note plug has a notch and a hole in it. Also, earlier ACDelco levers were assembled in Mexico. Says so on the back of the washer paddle. Double check those trying to pass off knockoffs as genuine GM as it may not have this tidbit on it):
25031457 non delay lever.jpg

Delay
(GM part numbers 25031425 for 1982/1983, and 84-up is 25031456 with supersession numbers 25075752, 25111260, and 25111290). Picture is of aftermarket, GM versions are similar. Note the aftermarket lettering is of a slightly different look.
s-l1000.jpg

Digging deeper into this GM parts hole, we find that, in fact, EITHER switch will function as GM intended for your car. It just doesn't look the same.
SAY WHAT? Yes, it's true. The magic is that the switch that the position indicators are showing status for is actually located inside the steering column. So it's important that if you are replacing your wiper switch, it's critical to get your switch part correct. The lever barrel doesn't care. It fits in and turns the switch no matter what is printed on the indicator. The switch is what dictates the barrel position.

As long as you get the right application for your YEAR, you're golden. So if you must, you can use a delay lever in a non-delay car, and vice-versa. Most people don't, but you can.

Here's a typical how-to for changing the cruise lever if need be. Obviously your luck with the pull wire may differ, and I've done it hit or miss with that. You can't get in a hurry. I've always felt better by partially disassembling the column to run that wire through the guide.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor