which block correct for 87 monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSmonte87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2007
i will be lookin to step up from the 5 liter to a larger block but i was wondering if i use an older block will my original oil pan still work or do i need a 2pc seal oil pan?
in other words do i have to stick with 87 n up (350)blocks so i can reuse all my accesories to keep the stock look as much as possible.
i will be lookin to step up from the 5 liter to a larger block but i was wondering if i use an older block will my original oil pan still work or do i need a 2pc seal oil pan?
in other words do i have to stick with 87 n up (350)blocks so i can reuse all my accesories to keep the stock look. or can i use any older
350 or even a 400 block?
not worrying about what heads,cam ill go with right now,
im taking it one step at a time first i have to have a shortblock built first and go from there.

any info will be appreciated!
thanks in advance

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
any motor you use will have an oil pan that will work (save for vega, chevy II) and you can use any brackets unless you use the corvette camel humps. i prefer to use the 1 piece rear seal motors cause theres less chance of the rear seal leaking and they are machined for roller cams from the factory.
i also like to use the serpentine belt and bracket setup from nerwer cars. the truck bracket setup works also, but you need to use the water pump and crank pulleys for the same vehicle or they wont line up.

and to help people with questions about using the serpentine setup so they arent mis informed, the power steering pump off newer vehicles will bolt right up to your factory steering pump lines. it will look a little odd when plumbed but the only line that needs cut is the return (non high pressure) line.

you can also use the chevy truck horse shoe bracket but its pretty heavy and awkward to install.

ohh, i almost forgot to tell you that you can put the newer pump on but theres absolutely no spare room while sliding it on. when you get it mounted on the motor theres about 1/8-1/4" of room between the pulley and the one steering box bolt. i got a little nick on my steering box bolt and a shiny spot on my pulley cause i was anxious and forgot to tighten the one motor mount bolt and it fell out at the track lol. so this is how i know theres JUST enough clearance, and the belt is somewhat of a friction fit to put on. but its all worth it the first time you pop the hood and hear compliments on how cool it looks.

sorry for the novel, but i like to help out ............. lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one eye...thanks for the info but I have a question...you don't mention the ac compressor so I was wondering if you knew if the serpentine belt be set up to run the ac compressor as well?

thanks

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
LSmonte87 were are you located? I have a 350sbc block that is 4 bolt mains it is 10% nickel (best block you can find) The lifter valley has been polished as well as under the timing cover. The oil passage at the rear of the valley has been reworked and opened up. It has never been bored over so it is a great block to start with. I will let it go for $300 can.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
sorry i forgot to mention that, i dont run a/c in my car so i always forget to mention it. :oops:
you can use the newer one from a truck/car (preferably the same vehicle you get all the other parts from.

RedHotRegal, the setup GM sells is the EXACT same one you can pirate from a truck, or car at the wreckers for probably under $150. whereas GM sells that kit for over $700.
i forgot to also mention you WILL need the newer water pump cause they run backwards compared to the old style. you can buy new, used, or reman. either way you will have a clean reliable setup and only one belt to buy when yours wears out.

if you DONT have A/C, you can but an idler pulley that goes in place of the A/C pump and the amount of idlers DO NOT matter. an idler doesnt take any hp cause they are just a freewheeling idler pulley.

also, if theres any stereofiles in here that want to run dual alternators i can show them how to with stock parts!!!!
i did it for a 79 monte that my buddy was going to run air ride and a big stereo with, until he noticed the frame and body were WAY to far gone.

thats right, STOCK PARTS!!! the only problem is you cant use A/C if you want dual alternators. i am going to put this setup on my car if i drive it on the street this summer and will have pics when i do.

till then, if theres anyone with a question about serpentine or the dual alt setup feel free to pm me or just post it in a new thread cause i only read the threads that are on the home page. i never have the time to go through the forum unless i am REALLY bored. lol

LSmonte87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2007
350 blocks

thanks for the info guys...

im in ca,i prefer local so i can look at it before i buy...

so the only indication of an older block would be dipstick on driver side,
diferent valve covers(old style), and i think thats it unless im forgeting something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor