Which bucket seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STONEYH

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2005
Grove City Ohio
Has anybody taken out the 60/40 frt. seat and put in buckets out of something else? I am sure alot have. What cars are good donors for this besides g-body? Do 82-89 camaro firebird bolt in?

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
Nothing that didn't come in a G body is more thank likely not going ot be bolt in. But most of the time from what I have read you just need to put the seat tracks from the seats you have on the new seats, as long as you get a seat that has close to same dimensions as factory seats. You don't want to get real tall seats (truck) or real low seats (mini sports car) or you may not like where you sit.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So if I went to a junk yard and found a Monte SS, lets say. An '85 with grey factory buckets. Can I take the factory seats (bench) in my Grand Prix out (with brackets) and just bolt in the Monte buckets with the Monte brackets? Just a complete bolt-in procedure...?

:)

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Yes and No. They bolt right in, but u will be missing the studs in the floor for the extra sear brackets. Drill a hole and put some reinforcement into the floor pan for it. And then u should be OK.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I havn't checked out a 60/40 split seat but I would think that the floor pan would be the same in either car so the housing for the studs would be in there even if the studs were not used on a particular seat.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Good Point, I assumed a full Bench. I didn't even consider the Split Bench. The may have all the studs already in there being used.

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
55/45 or 60/40 seats for bench

Read my earlier post on this: http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=64&highlight=seats

The bench seat only has mounting studs on the outer edge. To install either bucket , 54/45 or 60/40 you need the inner mounting brackets, 4 ea. total. I just did this on my 85' Regal.

I bought a set of 55/45's from a boneyard out of a 93 Cutlass Supreme. I then bagged the inner mounting brackets from an 86' Regal Limited. The brackets are a bit_h to remove. Take a cordless drill with several bits up to about 3/8" & 2 batteries. You'll also need a pry bar, etc.

Drill out the spot welds on the mounting brackets and carefully pry them up. I brazed mine in because I don't have a welder. check them out here about 1/2 way down on the page: http://home.mindspring.com/~76ldo/id10.html

You might also have to drill a new hole in the replacement tracks either front or rear side to get it to line up with the original outer brackets 2 bolts. No big deal, you only need to drill one on each side. Make sure that you test the lowest seat height location as it will rub on the hump. Also remember that the carpet adds 1/4" - 1/2" in needed height! I'm going to shim it up with 2" X 2" X 1/4" plates that I got @ Home Depot that already have a 1/2" hole in the middle. That way if the wife lowers the seat all the way and then moves the seat forward or rearward it won't drag on the new carpet.

I just posted 3 pics in my album, down at the bottom: http://gbodyforum.com/album_personal.php?user_id=20

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor