Which cross member provides the most clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Getting my tax money in soon, and I'd like to not have my driver's side pipes smackin the ground. The passenger side is fine, you can't even see it from the side, but the driver's side is fully visible. What I plan on doing, is hackin at least 2.5 inches (diameter of the pipe) out of the downspout of the downpipe to raise it up while still having it be level. Then getting some more pipe and connecting them to 2.5" mandrel GN exit style pipes I found and actually having a complete exhaust. What I was wondering, which off the cross members has the most clearance for the pipes? Gforce? Iceman? Jegs? From the pictures, it looks like the G Force member has the most clearance, with the biggest whoop-de-doo.

Any input is appreciated.
Picture is of my exhaust situation. Pipes are level with the frame and eachother, but driver's is ~2.5" lower.

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 154

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You could save some money by modifying your stock cross member. I know they generally don't look as cool as the dual hump aftermarket variety, but functional none the less.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
First check the body mounts to see how worn they are. Some have noted the G Force humps do hit the floor due to worn body mounts. The Jegs is designed around thier dual pipe kit & header set (for SBC) so pipes on both side may need adjusted. Summit has ones like G Force. I'm don't know anything on the Iceman one. I'm using the G Force & the body will be sitting on poly mounts when it goes back together.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
How would I know if they're worn? Can I see them inbetween the body and frame from under the car? The stock cross member fits in there just fine, no wedging or extra force needed, granted the G force is a lot larger so I can see where it'd be a problem.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You could save some money by modifying your stock cross member. I know they generally don't look as cool as the dual hump aftermarket variety, but functional none the less.
I would, but I don't have a welder, don't know how to weld, and the car still has to be operational in the meantime.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally would modify your stock cross member you already know that you have no clearance issues on the passenger side and you also know exactly where to put the notch on the driver's side based on where your pipe currently sits.
You could easily cut a rectangular notch and pre-cut and fit the filler pieces and then have somebody weld it for you and use the money you save and put it towards a future welder purchase.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I personally would modify your stock cross member you already know that you have no clearance issues on the passenger side and you also know exactly where to put the notch on the driver's side based on where your pipe currently sits.
You could easily cut a rectangular notch and pre-cut and fit the filler pieces and then have somebody weld it for you and use the money you save and put it towards a future welder purchase.
Don't know anyone that can weld. And the car still has to be operational. It can't be down for really more than a day or two.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You should learn how to weld, it's not that difficult to learn. You can pick up a used welder for a reasonable price and that skill is a nice one to have and it can make you money.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Iceman gives the most clearance. It took me 3 different types to clear my exhaust.

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
2A3DD92C-F15B-4215-8F79-427E23086E74.jpeg
292D05E5-2066-4A27-8147-2BC4E348ADCB.jpeg
You can get a welder at harbor freight to weld up the crossmember for under 100 bucks. You can grind it and keep welding till you get it right. But I like the g force if you are going to by one.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor