which cutlass do i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lelanb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2015
when i decode my 85 cutlass vin it says its a cutlass supreme that came with a 3.8, (has a sbc350 in now but im about to ls swap it), that last owner said it was a cutlass calais, it had bench seats when i bought it, but it has factory console brackets and floor shifter holes, rally gauges, front and rear sway bars and it came with the "ice-cube tray" grille wikipedia says is standard on the calais.

also no 85 cutlass parts fit on my car, the wheel studs are different thread, the wiper motor is older style, i have the old style pull out headlight switch, etc.

im confused because i read that the cutlass calais became a separate car in 85, my title says cutlass supreme but i guess they would all say that, is it a cutlass salon?

this all started from me trying to guess which axle ratio i have without remove the cover so i could get the ls computer programmed.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Does your car have a Fisher body plate on the firewall/cowl by the wiper motor or a SPID tag on the trunk lid & do they match the VIN? Your car could of been slapped back together from an earlier car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Photos of the car and SPID tag would help a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The spid tag they reference is an index card sized sticker under the trunklid. A 1985 would have it there and it'd list the vin and tons of 3 character option codes.

On the drivers door should be another smaller sticker. Check the vin there.

Check your frame rails by the transmission crossmember. On 1983-up there were TWO mounting holes for the crossmember because of the introduction of the 200-4r in the 1983 ttype regal.

With these cars approaching 40 years old lots of work has been done. You might have a body swap, or a frame swap. Or all kinds of cars made into one.

The wheel studs on rotors and rear end were different 1981-down from 1982-up. If someone junkyard swapped those on, it'd explain the different stud threads.

Likewise, interior could've been swapped.

If you get us interior pics, based on color shade and fabric pattern we may even be able to tell what it was from.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also, easiest way to guess the rear end ratio is the old jack it in the air and spin a tire while counting until the driveshaft makes a full revolution trick ...

• Agree

lelanb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2015
there are no stickers in the door jamb or trunk lid, ill have to check for a body plate and the crossmember tomorrow, its dark out where the cutlass is and i'd be begging for a racoon attack lol. the interior has been redone in all black but i know for a fact it was previously slapped together with various g body seats and carpet, probably dash too.

and thanks for the dirveshaft tip, i have to try that, after some research im starting to think i have 2.41

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
True. In 1985, the FWD Cutlass Calais came on the scene. So to minimize confusion in the sporty G-body line, they changed the Cutlass Calais to Cutlass Salon. It's easy to tell as well by the VIN if it's a Salon...the 4th through 7th spots in the VIN tell you the model- GK47...If it's a Supreme, it's GR47, and if it's a Supreme Brougham it's GM47.

• Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Also, easiest way to guess the rear end ratio is the old jack it in the air and spin a tire while counting until the driveshaft makes a full revolution trick ...

that does work but I think on a thirty year old car the rear end grease is probably due for a change and with the cover off it's easy to read the numbers to find out what the gearing is.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
'81 was the last year of the pull-out headlite switch. The wiper switch was on the dash, too.
They changed to the flip-style headlite switch in '82 and moved the wiper switch to the turn signal lever.
The Cutlass Supreme could be ordered with buckets and console as an option.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

That only works if the car is a G80. If no G80 you have to slide under the car and spin the driveshaft and make one tire revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor