Which dash kit to use for aftermarket radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I have an 88 Monte Carlo SS and am looking to order the right kit to install a single DIN aftermarket radio in the stock location. I’ve heard mixed things about the Metra 99-4644 kit and no clear answer if it works or does not work as intended. My radio cover is the standard Monte Carlo with the space for AC controls above and opening on the bottom for radio. Are there other brackets I’ll need from a stock radio to make for a clean install or does the kit include everything I’ll need as long as I order the right one? Part numbers and pictures of your install are appreciated.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Former stereo installer here. The Metra kit is fine; you only need the 2 pieces and the factory brackets off your Delco.
-Remove the Delco, and remove the 10mm nuts on either side. Set brackets aside; don't mix them up.
-Remove the rear support bracket from the cross bar in the dash.
-Assemble the kit with the flush mount (flat) plate. Use the supplied carriage bolts and nuts to attach the factory brackets to the Metra kit.
-Wire and install the new radio. Rear support is optional (recommended for CD player)
I have the same kit behind my "custom" dash bezel
Post #987

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Former stereo installer here. The Metra kit is fine; you only need the 2 pieces and the factory brackets off your Delco.
-Remove the Delco, and remove the 10mm nuts on either side. Set brackets aside; don't mix them up.
-Remove the rear support bracket from the cross bar in the dash.
-Assemble the kit with the flush mount (flat) plate. Use the supplied carriage bolts and nuts to attach the factory brackets to the Metra kit.
-Wire and install the new radio. Rear support is optional (recommended for CD player)
I have the same kit behind my "custom" dash bezel
Post #987

Thank you for the tips! I will go with that Metra kit and hope for a clean install.

My car didn't come with any radio when I purchased it, harness was cut and all. I've done well enough to repair the harness with factory ends and all is correct wiring wise, I just don't have those brackets or any stock hardware. Are these specific to Monte Carlos, G Bodies, or most GM vehicles of the era? Anyone have photos to show me what I'm looking for? Junkyard nearby has a Malibu I may be able to snag something from if I know what im looking for.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The kit will have tabs; you'll just have to pick the right ones. It won't be that bad. I just always used the factory brackets because they were metal, and guaranteed to fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor