Which G-Body's got additional frame and body bracing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
After seeing my El Camino and the Bonneville side by side, I am noticing that the Bonneville has additional bracing at the center of the crossmember and at the corners of the radiator support. Was this just something that I am missing on the EC or an option of some kind?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
As a general rule, Chevrolet was the cheap carline, no bracing unless F41 suspension was ordered (although by '83 Malibu wagons got the X brace). Pontiacs got more bracing, as did Buick and Olds, as they were marketed as sportier/more luxurious/upscale from the Chevrolets Which pieces each car got varied from make to make, and even from model to model. Suffice to say, Malibu and El Camino got the least, Monte Carlo a little more, and so on up through the GM "class" hierarchy.

Any of them can be added to your Camino, some are common (rad supt "X" brace, F41 jounce bars, fender bars), others are more elusive...GP bar being toughest to find these days.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Instead of spending money on the flimsy factory stuff I would just make my own. Even with limited tools it can be done fairly easy. I made most of mine with a hammer, drill, grinder, and bench vice on the garage floor. I can't see the factory X-braces either at the radiator or behind the rear seat making a lick of difference so I wouldn't waste my time finding factory stuff there. They are no bigger than your pinky. And usually people want wayyyy too much for them anyway.

• Agree

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I am not too worried about adding the missing parts to the EC and the Bonneville has several of them installed already. It just seems odd that these would be options instead of standard on vehicles with such mediocre handling to begin with.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My GP got alot of additional frame bracing and body bracing but it didn't come from the factory...:D

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
86 Monte Carlo SS trunk bracing/spare tire support. I saw a 86 SS that had that brace in the left side trunk side. I think GP and GN's had the left trunk brace as well.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Besides bracing, some G bodies did not have all the body mount bushings installed, Regals and GNs are notorious for missing factory bushings. Rear seat braces make a big difference, they keep the rear quarter from flexing around and causing roof line cracks. I use a Tinman rear seat brace which I plug welded in and it eliminated most of the rattles. Some braces do not improve handling that much but they stiffen up the car so it can handle more power without getting stress cracks and make the ride more comfortable.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I, for one, believe that the factory braces offer substantial upgrades in regards to frame stiffening and handling characteristics . As stated above, the Regal ,Malibu and el Camino were left behind . Very few came from the factory with the F41 braces.
I don't believe Gm just decided to throw on some braces for no reason. They looked at the various weaknesses in the frame and body and sought to strengthen these areas. If you've ever driven a Gn, 442 , or Monte SS, they are nothing like a stock Regal,Malibu one El Camino .
I've owned 6 different GBodys over the years and upgraded every single one of them. Here is a list of what I've done to all of them...
Monte SS Steering Box
1 1/4" Solid Front Sway Bar
7/8" Rear Sway Bar
Jounce Bars
Inner Fender Braces
Core Support X- Braces
With good coil springs and shocks, this will totally change your driving experience. I've sold plenty of these set ups over the years and everyone of them could not believe how much it tightened everything up.
Just my two cents from 25 years of experience..timo22

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor