OLDS Which gauge cluster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I have two rally gauge clusters, both junkyard finds over the years. Not worried about authenticity/year matching for appearance sake. Ignoring obvious shifter indicator or printed circuit board issues, which would be most appropriate for my 79 Cutlass? I currently have the long sweep speedo. Any LED bulb suggestions?

IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
I think the top option is best suited for your car. Honestly it looks like the rallye cluster that was in a 1978 Cutlass I saw at car show in the summer.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Top one is correct for 78 thru I believe 80. There was a slightly different style for 81-82. The bottom is definitely correct for 84-88 and mabey 83 as well.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Doesn't the speedo cable attach differently to the earlier version? Easy fix, technically, by using the proper speedo cable pieces, but just something to be aware of. That little wire bit coming out of your lower cluster's speedo looks like the speed buffer "eye" that counts the revolutions of the speedometer cutter wheel for use in the CCC system. Obviously won't be needed on your 79, so that's a moot point. Honestly I've never swapped an older cluster to a newer G, or vice-versa. It appears it should work, maybe. Only one way to find out. :)

As pointed out, there are some little differences in the faces of the gages.

For the U.S., speedometer faces were different on 78-79 as they were just MPH. 1980 added the km in dark orange-y color. Then 81 used a "light blue-ish" km inside the MPH. In 1982-88, the speedo was the same (exception was 87 442 120 mph only).

Tachs- 78-79 were the same, then a slightly different font was used for 80, and then again for 81. 80 and 81 are technically stand alone years, believe it or not, for speedos/tachs. Starting in 1982-88, the tach faces were the same. Caveat: Column shift cars with gage package and 83/84 H/O has a lower plate on the tach that contains the needle and shift indicator lettering (H/Os don't have the console indicator light up at night). Has nothing to do with the tach proper, but if you see a gage cluster with the lettering and you don't need it, it's not a big deal. The plates can be swapped out, or modified if need be. All the gage clusters have the ability to accomodate the shift indicator setup.

One more tidbit about tachs. Up through I believe it was 85 or 86, the tachs had a V8 or V6 orange jumper plug in the back of them, which usually would loosen up over time and cause the tach to read weird. Fix was to solder a jumper piece wire across them. By 87 for sure, could have been 86, can't recall specifically, the cars were built with the jumper wire soldered in from the factory and no jumper plug.

For the "little gages"- the fuel/oil , etc., gages looked the same from 78-80 and between 81-88 as they added the universal indicator symbols on them in 81. Also, it's slight, but the 81-88 volt meter warning area is less than around the 12 V area, where the 78-80 has anything less than 13 V in the warning zone. Weird.

BTW, to add, your top cluster has the appearance of the 78-79 faces, the bottom one has the appearance of 82-88 column shift car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Thanks guys. You confirmed my assumptions regarding the vintage of the clusters. I really prefer the simpler look of the older one anyways. I will just have to guess at my speed in km/h if i ever cross over into Canada.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
visually the only real difference I see is:
1) more hash markings on the tach and speedo on the top unit
2) orange warning area on the bottom tach

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The bottom cluster has the optical sensor needed for the later style cruise control. I don't know if that is a factor for you. It was also used by the CCC system for TCC control.

Reactions: 1 user

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
Another point of trivia is the idiot light positions are different between the 2 clusters so you would have to move wires around in the harness for those to light up correctly (or swap over the correct silkscreen 'lens'/overlay or whatever its called. More trivia: the 78-79 had a light for Low fuel that actually worked on some models, not sure which but I had a 79 Calais that it worked.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor