Which is better, X pipe or H pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
Running duals from the headers back on my Regal, which pipe should I use? X or H? It's street driven and I won't be using cats.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
H gives you a lower tone, X gives you a higher tone, neither gives you any better performance...

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
How does the X fit on the g body? Any issues with clearance or driveshaft interference?

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
I'm running full length flow tech headers as well.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have ran both, the H pipe adds a slightly lower tone and makes it a tiny bit quieter. The X pipe is slightly higher toned, my custom 2.5" system on my 88 Cutlass with a compact X pipe and Aerochamber mufflers sound awesome. Both add power but only a handful of horsepower and torque with the H pipe more effective down low.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The only thing that sucks about going H pipe is no one makes a kit for it. It's all X pipe. That's why mine is true duals exiting out the side before the rear tire nascar style. Just 2.5 inch pipe about 4 feet long on either side, two 8 inch cherry bombs, and two 45 degree bends and chrome tips. :p

Reactions: 1 users

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I built the exhaust for my 500 Cadillac powered El Camino using a 2 ½” Pypes X pipe and Flowmaster tailpipes.

In most cases the difference in HP and Torque gains between straight duals, H pipe and X pipe can be measured on a dyno but is so insignificant at normal street driving RPM that there is no noticeable “seat of the pants feel”. When the factories started using H pipes back in the 60s it was done to reduce the noise level on dual exhaust cars.

I used the X pipe mostly because it tucks the mufflers up into the body nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
I plan on using the pipes dual exhaust kit with X pipe and most likely their race pro mufflers.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor