Which Thornton exhaust would you choose?? Headers OR Exhaust Manifolds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

Oldsmobile 408" small block - 9.5/1 compression - stage1 mild ported heads w/ large valves - Edelbrock Performer Plus 204/214 cam - Edelbrock Performer RPM intake - Holley Sniper Stealth fuel injection - 2200 rpm converter - 3.08 gears

Both will be an upgrade to stock exhaust manifolds. Both will work with my 2.5" Jegs dual exhaust ( some of you will remember the stainless kit we got on sale 1.5 years ago ). Stainless headers might look a little nicer. I can always coat or hi-temp paint the manifolds. Cost is not the determining factor... Reliability is. Anybody have either one of these products??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like the headers and with 1/2" flange they won't be leaking or blowing out a gasket

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It is a tough one. If you do go manifolds, take some time with a dremel and clean up the castings. Another very good fitting option but needs custom down pipes, has 3" collectors, is the Sanderson shorty headers. About the same price as the Thornton shorties coated. I like the Thornton shorties except the dented tube, it has to be restricted by it. That tube should have been moved till it touched the other tube, it would have made the flattening less of a flow killer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
It is a tough one. If you do go manifolds, take some with a dremel and clean up the castings. Another very good fitting option but needs custom down pipes, has 3" collectors, is the Sanderson shorty headers. About the same price as the Thornton shorties coated. I like the Thornton shorties except the dented tube, it has to be restricted by it. That tube should have been moved till it touched the other tube, it would have made the flattening less of a flow killer.

Ah the old dented header topic, i would have thought the same thing until i saw the episode of engine masters where they literally dented the living crap out of a set of headers to the point that you would literally think they wouldnt flow anymore and it made absolutely no difference in power what so ever. Interesting stuff, its worth a watch

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Ah the old dented header topic, i would have thought the same thing until i saw the episode of engine masters where they literally dented the living crap out of a set of headers to the point that you would literally think they wouldnt flow anymore and it made absolutely no difference in power what so ever. Interesting stuff, its worth a watch
It's amazing how many myths they bust (and prove/explain) on that show. There's a few episode that I wish they went a little deeper, but fascinating nonetheless Numbers don't lie.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor