CUTLASS Which timing chain set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Getting a parts list for some maintenance on my low millage 83 H/O. A while back someone here suggested to swap out the plastic factory timing set with a steel one. I don't need a double roller. So wondering which single one is preferred? Cloyes? Melling? Sealed Power? I remember talking to Joe Mondelo years ago and he talked about some are not up to specs in regards to TDC. Rock Auto has them for around $20.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have used the Melling timing set, seemed to be good quality. I haven't heard any bad about the others. Unless you degree it, it could be way off.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Your going to get what you pay for. You have a stock engine and the requirements on the chain aren't that great and a Cloyes, Melling, or Sealed Power will work just fine. I am into performance and will only go with billet.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Hard to say which set is better quality. Pretty sure they are all offshore manufacturing. Go with the Cloyes, there I said it.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
For my stock application I don't think I need a double roller and to spend that much. Anything is better than the stock nylon breakaway. I've used Cloyes DR on other HP BBO builds. Was looking at the Cloyes C3006k or the Sealed Power or Engine tech single tooths.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think the major 3 mentioned are all the same. I don't think anything besides NOS would have a nylon, so just...... wait for it.....

SEND IT!
Did someone mention NOS?

Yeah, I got an NOS set. Chain and both sprockets. The top is nylon on aluminum (GM p/n 381263 btw). Chain (GM p/n 401584) and crank gear (GM p/n 382880) are solid pieces though. Considered it for a minute, but decided I'd be back inside the engine digging that crap out again eventually. Won't ever use it. Got it with a cache of other "stuff". I wouldn't go out and specifically hunt for a nylon gear. I think what I'll do is find an old Clevite or similar brand "S348" solid steel cam sprocket with the other GM stuff.

If'n I were going to do a single, I'd probably do the Cloyes C-3600K. NAPA sells them under the same part number I think, so likely the same source.

23 plus tax with free shipping for prime members from Amazon. Are they all made by the same company? I don't know.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C08JEW/?tag=gbody-20

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor