Which transmission??

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Really depends a lot on what your goals are today vs tomorrow. If your goal is nice and easy street cruising and never pounding on it like a rental car, a 200-4R will not break your bank, lighter weight than the TH400/4L80E, and isn't hard to keep that torque in check when assembled correctly. Easy to fit to the car with stock GM parts that are still somewhat readily available. But the 4R will require a little beefing up. Which means a bit of investment $$$.

Compare the costs and weigh it against your long-term goals. I agree with a 4L80E choice though, if weight is not a factor. If you were thinking TH350 or TH400, the 4L80E is a no-brainer because it's basically an electronically controlled TH400 with an overdrive. No need for an after-market overdrive, and use the money you save to buy the controller for a lot less than the OD unit.

I can't recall specifically what it was, but I looked up parts for one before and found it uses some of the same parts (I believe it was a main shaft, or one of the shafts) as a TH400. BEEFY AF. Then if you wanted to put some power adders to your engine later, the transmission may not even have to be messed with. They can take gobs of power without puking.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I converted my 4L80E to a manual. It was around $300 for the Transgo HD-3 kit and was no more involved than the HD-2 shift kit that is only $80 less. It comes with a Vacuum Modulator to control line pressure as you would in a TH400. I got a control plug for the lockup from the junkyard and it was as simple as wiring a 12v switch on the dash for lockup.

I used all the "hardest" shifting mods in the instructions and to be honest I dont think it shifts hard enough. cruising around it's pretty docile, I would reccomend it as an option.

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
On the plus side, the 200R4 offers overdrive, on the minus side, the TH350 does not.

On the plus side, the 350 requires no special wiring or cable adjustment, on the minus side, the 200 uses a TV or Throttle Valve cable that must be adjusted correctly or the transmission will not work right and die young.

Both share a case configuration that is similar, and both will bolt up to the Gen 1 and Gen II bell housing flange. The ring gear for each is unique to that model of T-mission. You may also find that the starter is different as well.

Between the two, the 200 might be the better choice but al lot depends on what fuel introduction system you are using, carburetor or FI. The TH350 won't care as much because it doesn't need special accessories to be attached to either iteration. Both will need the GM bracket that bolts to the intake; you may find a difference between the carb version and the Throttle body or FI version due to a need for a more precise line up of the throttle and TV cables plus access to the adjusting mechanism for the TV that doesn't exist for the 350.

Finally, there is the question of your motor to factor in. 383's by definition, offer more torque and horsepower that the drivetrain must absorb. The board is leaning towards the 200R4 but if your choice of mill Is any indication, I personally think you might want to consider beefing up whichever transmission you do choose, simply because, inevitably, you will encounter a "WTH" situation, and elect to hammer on the loud pedal. Your mill won't blink an eye, but that stock transmission bolted to it might just decide to die.

Nick

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Your flexplate and starter should work with either the th350 or the 200R4 trans since they are engine specific.
There are aftermarket brackets that work well for the overdrive and for my Holley I used a Jegs bracket and then bought a separate mount to install the trans cable and I also bought a linkage corrector for the carb, later Holley's and Quickfuel's have the later style linkage where the corrector is not needed.
There are also plenty of Youtube video's you can check out for easy adjustment of the cable.

20191003_210337_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
Awesome Info guys!! I really appreciate the education of transmissions. I was able to pick up a TH400 for dirt cheap. So I am going to take it to a local transmission shop that has an excellent reputation for building these and making them string and ready to handle the torque and power of a built SB chevy. And I still have a TH350 for a back up, but don't think I'll really need it. You guys are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor