CUTLASS White smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyboy559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2018
My 83 cutlass supreme can't pass smog it's running real rich has been sitting for 3 years it has the 307 y I want to use the car as a lowrider so I just want to make sure it rolls recently after every 20 mile drive when I stop I notice white smoke coming from the header area of my car smells burnt. Sometimes it even comes out the carburator anyone know what this could be? Is it because it's running rich on gas?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If it's not overheating and blowing steam out the exhaust, it's not likely a head gasket. Pull the plugs, and if any are really clean, it could be a head gasket.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Does the oil look frothy if checked after driving?

Is there oil sheen on top of the radiator if you remove the cap before driving?

Is there white smoke out the tailpipe?

If any of the above are true then likely a head gasket.

Does the manifolds or block have darkened areas that look a little wet compared to the rest before running the car?

If yes, are these areas near where the smoke comes from?

If the two above are true likely oil burnoff.

Valve cover gaskets are less than $10, and worth doing just to see how clean the heads are inside and give you one method of a partial idea of engine health anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Olds 307 rarely blows head gaskets. As said, the smell of burning oil, externally especially is obvious. Does it use oil or coolant? You are in limp mode and probably have a check engine light on, they run pig rich to save the converter.

Reactions: 1 users

Johnnyboy559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2018
I seen where the white smoke is coming from the 3rd spark plug from front to back on the driver side directly from the hole does anyone have an idea what this could mean?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I seen where the white smoke is coming from the 3rd spark plug from front to back on the driver side directly from the hole does anyone have an idea what this could mean?

See the above. Your best course of action is clean the engine real good. Then, if it were me, I'd throw on the $7 or $8 worth of valve cover gaskets.

it's a 30+ year old engine that gm purposely painted black to reduce warranty claims for seepage.

Start with the valve gaskets and cleaning the outside of the engine. Whatever is leaking from wherever will make a new trail you can trace.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor