Whitetail Deer vs. my H/O cutlass :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabeeveteran03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2015
N.E. Ks.
Kinda bad morning this morning. Decided to drive the new H/O to work this morning since today was the start of our construction season. Ended up nailing a damn doe at about 40 mph. Gonna be hunting for some parts now lol. I'm most angry about the header badge, it bent hard enough to pop the clear part off of the badge in spots, so I am sure I will have to hunt high and low and give a few organs for a new one lol. Got a free day off work at least, my boss is a car nut and he seemed even more upset than me. Here's a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20150330_075319437.jpg
    IMG_20150330_075319437.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20150330_075325431_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150330_075325431_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 316

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Look for 88hurstolds he's selling some hurst badges might have some hard to find hurst parts too. That's a bummer looks like a clean car!

seabeeveteran03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2015
N.E. Ks.
Yeah, I kinda noticed he has an awesome amount of H/O stuff. I'm pretty bummed too, one of the issues with living in Kansas. Glad I wasn't on my bike this morning lol.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Sucks, just happened to a guy I know with a 16k mile '83 H/O, sold him my NOS badge and grilles.
I just sold my spare '84 badge so I have none, I have one that is decent but I am holding out until I find an NOS one which usually go for around $300-400.
There are nice reproductions out there for $335, best thing to do is keep a watchful eye...

seabeeveteran03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2015
N.E. Ks.
Sucks, just happened to a guy I know with a 16k mile '83 H/O, sold him my NOS badge and grilles.
I just sold my spare '84 badge so I have none, I have one that is decent but I am holding out until I find an NOS one which usually go for around $300-400.
There are nice reproductions out there for $335, best thing to do is keep a watchful eye...
Well shoot, I kind of figured that it may take a while to find another one. Its only been a couple of hours since it happened and I can't think of anything but making it right again lol. Thanks for taking the time to send me a reply, I appreciate it. If you do happen to see one anywhere, give a holler on here if you don't mind.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well THAT sucks. If you have comprehensive insurance it should cover it. Check your policy though.

Looks like you're going to need at minimum a RH fender (unless you have a great body guy), RH headlight bezel (headlights/buckets/springs appear to be ok), hood, grilles, ornament, header panel. MAYBE an upper bumper cover, but it could be saved, depending on unseen damages. Looks like a couple of bolt holes got ripped but can be salvaged perhaps. It also appears you may be able to save the hood center strip.

Unseen damages could be a center header support, the lower bumper and air dam piece?? (maybe-can't tell) and perhaps a radiator support and RH inner fender support and possibly an upper RH header to rad support bracket. Oh, and perhaps a main bumper shock absorber. You won't be able to tell all the damage until you get it apart (or your body shop does).

Here's a tip for you. Your hood was specially NOT hole-punched under the hood scoop area for the center molding, that's why it has its own part number. You CAN use a normal G47 hood, but ensure the center trim punchout hole under the scoop gets filled in before mounting the scoop if you don't get a genuine H/O hood.

They USED to make an aftermarket header panel, but not sure if they still do. There's some used ones on ebay, but depends on their condition as to price. Around 150 bucks or so from what I've seen. Anything from 81-86 2-door supreme body style will work

If you think the hood ornament is pricey, wait until you try and find 84 H/O only grilles. You can save quite a bit of money painting the inserts of a regular 84 Cutlass black. Won't be 100% correct, but it'll work.

Good luck with it.

As mentioned, talk to 88hurstolds about the parts you need. If he can't get you a hood ornament, let me know. I think I have a used header emblem around here somewhere. It's got a small crack in the red plastic area, but the chrome is nice and I can let it go very reasonably. If you want NOS, I have a couple of those, too.

jchav62

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2014
New Mexico
That sucks!! Good thing no one was hurt. I was googling not too long ago and I came across some Craigslist ads in Illinois I believe. Some one was parting out an '84.

seabeeveteran03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2015
N.E. Ks.
Well THAT sucks. If you have comprehensive insurance it should cover it. Check your policy though.

Looks like you're going to need at minimum a RH fender (unless you have a great body guy), RH headlight bezel (headlights/buckets/springs appear to be ok), hood, grilles, ornament, header panel. MAYBE an upper bumper cover, but it could be saved, depending on unseen damages. Looks like a couple of bolt holes got ripped but can be salvaged perhaps. It also appears you may be able to save the hood center strip.

Unseen damages could be a center header support, the lower bumper and air dam piece?? (maybe-can't tell) and perhaps a radiator support and RH inner fender support and possibly an upper RH header to rad support bracket. Oh, and perhaps a main bumper shock absorber. You won't be able to tell all the damage until you get it apart (or your body shop does).

Here's a tip for you. Your hood was specially NOT hole-punched under the hood scoop area for the center molding, that's why it has its own part number. You CAN use a normal G47 hood, but ensure the center trim punchout hole under the scoop gets filled in before mounting the scoop if you don't get a genuine H/O hood.

They USED to make an aftermarket header panel, but not sure if they still do. There's some used ones on ebay, but depends on their condition as to price. Around 150 bucks or so from what I've seen. Anything from 81-86 2-door supreme body style will work

If you think the hood ornament is pricey, wait until you try and find 84 H/O only grilles. You can save quite a bit of money painting the inserts of a regular 84 Cutlass black. Won't be 100% correct, but it'll work.

Good luck with it.

As mentioned, talk to 88hurstolds about the parts you need. If he can't get you a hood ornament, let me know. I think I have a used header emblem around here somewhere. It's got a small crack in the red plastic area, but the chrome is nice and I can let it go very reasonably. If you want NOS, I have a couple of those, too.
Thanks, for the post, from what I can tell, the fender, header and hood are toast and the grille is completely gone. The driver side grill is good but the tabs broke, and the door moved enough on impact to knock a big chip of paint off of the quarter panel, but it stayed straight in the door jamb and opens and closes as good as it ever has. The core support has a bit of damage, but I think I can repair that. So, I am probably going to use regular cutlass parts for a lot of it until I can afford real parts, but I am definitely going to have to find the badge because my original is fragged. I may hit you up about the header badge, just kind of have to wait until I speak to an insurance adjuster and see what they are going to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor