Who has an oil cooler on their Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I was thinking about an oil cooler for my cutlass, i actually pulled one from a 90's chevy truck from a wrecking yard that had the diesel. The brackets that are on the oil cooler itself are a pretty good starting point for mounting the cooler behind the grills on the core support to the drivers side. Its OE and if it can do the job on a HD application like that it can certainly do the job on a car. Food for thought

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Here is my setup, in front of the radiator. Oil cooler from a Chevy Pickup and aftermarket Trans Cooler. With the TX heat we have had in traffic in high 90s w/AC on never goes over 180. I do have Sebring electric fans too. But the coolers must cool the fluids a bit. Or else OEM's wouldn't use them to include Power Steering. Trans Cooler goes from Radiator thru cooler to trans. Oil; cooler is adapter (GM) at filter to cooler and back.

Attachments

• Eng Oil Cooler Lines (6).jpg
    Eng Oil Cooler Lines (6).jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Headlight RH2.JPG
    Headlight RH2.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
180 is a little cool for the oil, OE spec would be around 200 or better.
I don’t know what my actual oil temp is and I am not concerned about hitting the ideal OE oil temperature If it’s 200F. Early L92’s were known for low oil pressure and mine is no exception when hot. At cold start up the oil pressure starts very high but when running on a hot summer day it will drop to about 20 psi at idle. This engine has only 45K on the clock. Since my engine had an oil cooler from the factory it will be just fine.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 565 BBC in the Monte runs around 200 all day long once warmed up with no cooler but I have 10 quart capacity with dual filters up front that actually get some airflow.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My 565 BBC in the Monte runs around 200 all day long once warmed up with no cooler but I have 10 quart capacity with dual filters up front that actually get some airflow.

That's normal regardless of your oil capacity. Oil temps track with water temps unless you subject the motor to extended high RPM which is why I say the OP does not need an oil cooler. If he has oil pressure issues, this is the wrong way to try and "fix" that.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
That's normal regardless of your oil capacity. Oil temps track with water temps unless you subject the motor to extended high RPM which is why I say the OP does not need an oil cooler. If he has oil pressure issues, this is the wrong way to try and "fix" that.
Just give it up already. Like I said my engine came with a cooler from the factory so it’s not going to hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor