Who has an oil cooler on their Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What oil pan do you have on it now?

Oil coolers IMO are a good idea for something like a drag car or road course car that is making laps at WOT. Nothing wrong with them on a street car if you are using it hard but like mentioned you need the oil to get to 220Fish to boil the water out and oil is naturally provides more lubrication at higher temp. I'd rather have 20psi at 220f oil temp than 50psi at 140f oil temp as far as wear resistance.

Reactions: 1 user

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Thanks for your input. I read on a Corvette forum that the PF 48E is manufactured by Fram and is to be avoided because it’s internals are garbage. Do you know why this filter would help increase oil pressure?
I have no idea why it actually increases Oil Pressure, it was recommended via the GM Trucks forum (other people had stated it raised their oil pressure as low oil pressure is common on the LSx) so I pulled an Amsoil filter and installed the PF48E and I went from a hot idle oil pressure of almost 0 on the gauge to like 10 or 15 prior to doing the O-Ring job and oil pump.

Based on the Engine Masters Oil Filter flow shootout I'd say the Corvette boys are wrong regarding the internals because the Orange FRAM (PHx) flowed horribly while the little LS Filter was flowing near the K&N and the Wix Racing (the 2 top dogs) in terms of oil flow (the high $$ Wix Racing and K&N probably have finer micron filtering). The Factory that pumps out FRAM PHxx filters might also manufacture the ACDelco built to GMs specs but it's not necessarily a bad thing (and maybe that was once true, it might not be so today as FRAM has been bought and sold a few times, last sale was Honeywell to TRICO).

Sure those ORANGE PHxx Frams at Wal-Mart are bottom shelf junk, there's the FRAM HP line that guys run on multi million dollar Ferraris! Basically not all Frams are created equal.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Never heard that about PF48E filters, that they are to be avoided. I've run them on my Gen IV 5.3 since new. It now has over 196k hard miles so I don't buy it either. An oil filter increasing oil pressure seems dubious to me as well but I can't argue with the anecdotal evidence.

Memory serves that if you replace the oil pump pickup o-ring, you want to use the red one (GM). Let me know if you need one and I'll put it in an envelope to you. I think I bought 10 (minimum quantity).

I agree with the oil to coolant style engine oil coolers. That's what the late model GM trucks run. The LT1 in my Roadmaster also has that setup stock.

If you have 20 lbs. of oil pressure at hot idle. I don't think there is a problem to fix.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor