Who has done full floor pans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I have been on the search for a t top regal for most of my adult life and keep striking out. I bought a ghetto thugged out pile of crap over the weekend for the sole reason that it had t tops and planned to part it out. The plus side is the t tops need minimal repairs but the bad news is the floor pans are very much shot and and the rest of the shell has a bunch of putty in. It doesn't appear that the putty was for rust repair as much as it was to fix misaligned panels but it still has a little bit of stuff to fix regardless. Assuming I strip this thing down and the quarters are not horrible, I am debating on if the floor pan is a reasonable repair or if I am cutting the top off this one and scrapping the rest of the body. What is scaring me is the metal between the pans and the rockers appear to be pretty bad, are these pieces available? I tried searching the net and did not come up with anything. The full pan looks easy to install so if I can fix the rest myself, maybe I have a body finally. The rockers oddly seemed solid which in my past always seemed to be the first to go in my area. Should I scrap this thing and move on or are these floor pans easy enough for a amateur to tackle? I do have welders, access to bigger welders and I have done partial quarter patches and rockers so I should be able to cover most basic stuff.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What is scaring me is the metal between the pans and the rockers appear to be pretty bad, are these pieces available?
The floor pan connects to the inner rocker which is what I think you are referring too but they are available new and I know Goodmark makes both inner and outer rockers.
On my Regal I replaced both inner and outer rockers, I made the inners myself but used Sherman for the outers which worked well, my floor boards we in pretty good shape except under the rear seat area where I had to fab up patches and rebuild the body mount supports on both sides.
I feel floor boards are a relatively simple job just time consuming but the welds don't have to be perfect and you can use seam sealer when you are done

IMG_2017.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I have done rockers, I am pretty sure there is another piece of metal between the inner rocker and the floor pan from what I was seeing. I may need to go look on my 442 to compare because this regal pan is basically gone so its hard to tell. I do know that I could see inside of a body mount and could see the transmission cross member mounting bolts... kinda scary looking to say the least. hopefully I do not find anything else as I cut more out, at some point it's a lost cause which it already may be but I am trying to stay open minded

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
how are your inner rockers? Inside the cabin the rocker skin is three layers and if they have rot inbetween then its a mission. If its just the pans, then buy two individual sides and do them one at a time. It is very, very rare to have the trans tunnel go so when you do each side individually you don't have to get too carried away with supports to hold the car stable while cutting and shutting....a $2 spot weld drill bit takes care of all the seat and belt mounts as well. Rockauto sells the pans at a good price.....

Reactions: 1 user

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Yea you're right, the piece between the floorpan and the inner rocker is not available anywhere I could find.. I made my own, and with help from Brian Weaver I got a cut out piece of a rust free car to follow in my design, it has worked flawlessly but it was very time consuming because I wanted it exactly right.

You can see the link to my restoration which is still in progress in my signature.

Reactions: 1 users

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Either I am looking at the pictures wrong of the curved side is on the side of the tunnel and its flat on the outside edge. I can not figure out how bad it is until it stops snowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor