who is right

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I guess you see the point just because You can do it that way doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it which is why hubcentric is a stronger way to go
The good thing is I've had pretty good luck with the lugcentric SSIII wheels since it's still just clamping force that holds the wheels onto the rotor/drum with the tapered lug nuts. I roll stock, so at that rate, it's of no consequence to do so. The earlier SSII with the bolt on center caps did have hubcentric wheels, though. But G-bodies didn't get a choice with their sport wheel options, so what you gonna do? Been holding up the weight for 36+ years, so I think it'll do just fine. Just make sure to torque your nuts!!!!! :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You hub centric guys are gonna love this. I use ARP wheel studs and slip on spacers up to 3/4" thick on my road race Camaro. I've been doing it since 2013 and never had an issue. Neither did the guy who built the car and started racing it in 2004. Neither do any of the other racers (that'd be every CMC car in America). So while hub centric is better for every reason that has been stated, lug centric is still plenty good enough. If I can't break it on the track, you damn sure can't break it on the street.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When I measured my rear hub on my 86' Regal it was 70.50" those list a 70.30" which might be correct for your older El Camino but the OP has a 87' Cutlass so he needs to verify size but these might be what he needs https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mln-hr83-7050-4/overview/
Now as far as lug or hub centric I will say every Gbody I have ever owned over the years I put aftermarket wheels on and they have always been lug centric and I have never had an issue or vibration.
Also your new QTP 9" will probably have a different size hub.

I got my measurement from a friend who sells rims and tires and hub rings and he looked it up on the hub ring chart for hub sizes.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I got my measurement from a friend who sells rims and tires and hub rings and he looked it up on the hub ring chart for hub sizes.
I measured mine because I wanted to order some 1" spacers to push the wheels out to match the wheel flares on the Regal, I ordered some that just happened to be also 70.50" and they were tight enough that I had to wire wheel the surface rust off to get them on smoothly, you are saying 70.60, Doug is saying 70.30 and mine are 70.50 so what I am saying is physically measure your application first before ordering.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It’s strange there are so many variations. My 70.30s fit the hubs so tight that I have to pry them off.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
If the search function had been used, in the ‘wheel’ section, “my new hurst dazzlers” by BlueBullet87 would have popped up and this whole thread would have been unnecessary.

Search and Google are our friends

thanks for the info. i found your old post love the look of your car. same body style as mine . those are same wheels i'm looking purchase, and the same tires i have already purchase. i would have purchased the wheels first if i had any ideal it was a pain to find the right wheels .... i guess that's all part of restoring these old cars . so if those wheels work for you and picture don't lie then i'll go for it. i can alway buy the hub centric for insurance since there so cheap.... by the way what does op stand for.

apprentice

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
thanks for the info. i found your old post love the look of your car. same body style as mine . those are same wheels i'm looking purchase, and the same tires i have already purchase. i would have purchased the wheels first if i had any ideal it was a pain to find the right wheels .... i guess that's all part of restoring these old cars . so if those wheels work for you and picture don't lie then i'll go for it. i can alway buy the hub centric for insurance since there so cheap.... by the way what does op stand for.

apprentice

Not my car, just found it on the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor