Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've heard Goodyear and Firestone.
Anymore? Less? Wrong?

Ive got the firestone pamphlet from '85 in my glove box. Came with the car along with a radio station guide and the normal owners manual and warranty stuff. Just curious is all.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Goodyear, Firestone, Uniroyal, Michelin. Keep in mind GM bought what was a good deal at that time so there could be more brands used. But Goodyear was the performance brand used the SS, 442, GN/GNX.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Goodyear, Firestone, Uniroyal, Michelin. Keep in mind GM bought what was a good deal at that time so there could be more brands used. But Goodyear was the performance brand used the SS, 442, GN/GNX.
Gator backs and Eagles?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Gatorbacks, great for business...... man did we ever sell the Comp T/As on a rainy day!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most cars came with whatever brand was contracted. The tires usually came to the assembly plant by mass transit. Whether it be tractor trailers, or rail cars. I know Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY used rail cars. They rolled it up and unloaded the tires right there. Also happened to be in the area where they mounted the tires. 99% of the time, tires were mentioned only by size as for their availability during a car order.

Eagle GT was the only tire I can recall that was specifically called out by name and size on the window sticker by the 1984 H/O and 1986 442 cars from Oldsmobile under the option W40 and W42 respectively. I can't vouch for others. 87 442 described only the size and raised outline white letters. AFAIK, there wasn't another major brand with ROWL, but there may have been. The standard tire size only, no brand, was listed in the "standard equipment" list above the factory installed options. You know, the part hardly anyone ever reads on the window sticker.

Got a feeling that since GM almost exclusively used the 215-15 Eagle GT ROWL tire on almost EVERYTHING (ROBL on GN) that GM kept the Eagle GT train steam rolling from 82-88 from the F and G-body crowds. I remember my then-new 82 Camaro Z28 came with those Eagle GTs as well.

Reactions: 2 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
IIRC in mid or late 87’ the Monte SS changed to Eagle GT+4’s.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Gatorbacks, great for business...... man did we ever sell the Comp T/As on a rainy day!
I LOVED my Comp T/As! That's one tire I wish they still made, even with today's "advanced" technology. They were killer on a wet road. The Comp T/A drag radial was great for a street car because of the stiffer sidewall, but didn't hook nearly as good as the MT ET Street once they hit the market.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC in mid or late 87’ the Monte SS changed to Eagle GT+4’s.
I don't recall that happening. I know for SURE in 86 they used the regular GTs as I bought one new. Stranger things have happened, though.

According to montecarloss.com:
Monte Carlo SS's were factory equipped with P215/65R15 Raised White letter Goodyear Eagle GTs. These tires were non-speed-rated and were NOT all-season radials. The tires were mounted on either painted steel wheels ('83-'85 SS) or Alloy aluminum wheels ('86 and up SS). Both styles were 15"x7". '86/'88 SS wheels had a 3mm negative offset and had 3 3/4" of rear backspacing. The circle bolt pattern was 5 X 4 3/4 inches.

Not sure if that included variances of the GT or not. I do recall seeing Eagle GT + 4s, but I don't remember when they first appeared in the market. Never cared for the look. I know they came on a few cars, but honestly can't recall which ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor