Who uses aftermarket 4x10 speakers in the rear deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xminnis

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
I dont think i can fit 6x9 with the adapter due to that rod that runs across the trunk right under where the speakers go in my 86 Monte. I am a little hesitant of 4x10's, could anyone recommend some good ones?

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
I have Kenwood 4X10s in my car. Bought them about 14 years ago and they still sound great. I don't know if you can get them anymore though. Seems like a lot of the guys here talk about 6X9s with adapters. Are 4X10s that hard to find?

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I have Eclipse 4x10s. They sound really nice, but don't put out as much base as 6x9s.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
Only thing i will recommend is that if you are looking for alot of bass add a subwoofer you can't get enough out or a 4x10 or 6x9 in my opinion i have two 12's on the pallet for my car.

Brand wise i have stuck with kenwood stuff for my speakers and pioneer and alpine for receivers. I would go with kenwood

xminnis

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
oh yeah i already have 2 12's i will put in the trunk, i always turn the bass nearly all the way down for the speakers in the car anyway and use subs only for bass so im not worried about how the bass will sound, i am worried more about having clean crsip mids and highs

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
I just installed some Kicker 4x10 speakers in my 82. Sound decent for not having any amps. Most stereo shops dont carry the 4x10s in stock. They are a weird size and not used much anymore. I had the best luck on Crutchfield.com. They give you all the comparisons and dimensions and ship real fast! They also carry the 4x10 to 6x9 adapter plate.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
1 option is to run some normal 4" rounds.

Another option, I seen a while back (dont remember where) a set of 4X10's that had a 4" round in the center, with tweeter on either side of them. they mounted in standard 4X10 holes.

Me, Im building a box that will hold my subs, and inside of it, i am mounting 6x9 boxes inside the sub box so that they are lined up under the 4x10 holes in the back deck.

79cutlass_on_crutches

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Moberly, MO
The 6x9 adapters have worked for many people throughout the years...but, yeah, not all 6x9's will fit that way.

Yet another option I've seen (haven't tried) is the aftermarket rear insert adapters or rear deck plate. You can find those at dixiemontecarlodepot.com ..and I believe I've seen them elsewhere online.

Since you won't demand much bass out of them, the 4x10's would be the easiest way to go, and you wouldn't have to buy extra parts to make them fit.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Try Ebay for the speakers. They are usually much cheaper than local retailers are as they do not need all the markup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor