Who's put a motor in a Astro Van???

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
No, not a small block, not yet 8) I just found a 95 Astro AWD that's in perfect shape with only 100k on if for $200. How bad is it to put a motor in one of these? Is it still in the front under the hood, I cant find it in there. J/K Just looking for someone who's done it, I'd be doing it in my garage, no car hoist. Just good old fashion hand tools and cherry picker.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
WOW, I didnt know people liked to soup up Astrovans! :shock:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, I've seen some. In fact in Minneapolis somewhere there's a guy who's got a supercharged LS4 in one painted Ferrari red. Insane I know, but believe me, not my intention here. I kinda like my G :lol:

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I heard back a few years ago Japanies were crazy for those things. I even remember seeing one of those car shows on Spike tv fix one up with ground effects and all. I think they're kind of cool in away. Kind of like the 70's vans but with a modern twist.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
so does anyone here know why the interchange for it (a 95) is 94 and 95 only??? I've got access to a 96 Blazer for virtually nothing and I still have my 87 Monte's 4.3. Couldn't I swap Vortech heads to my 87 or???? Digging for knowledge. :wink:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
dan2286 said:
WOW, I didnt know people liked to soup up Astrovans! :shock:

Yeah, the V8 is a pretty popular conversion in the Astrosafari world. Cheaper than hopping up the 4.3 and some are reporting better MPG with the V8 over the V6 as well. I would not expect a 383 in a lowered AWD van but it has been done.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
so does anyone here know why the interchange for it (a 95) is 94 and 95 only???
it's only a guess, but that's probably the only years for a specific EFI system. engine wise it should take any gen1 v8. the vortec heads will swap onto gen1's including the 400ci, but you need the right intake and the self-guiding rockers. they even swap to the 305 but the valves are too shrouded for it to work well.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
OK seriously, I can't get either one of these forums to respond to my request, to trying to join their forums. Both say you'll receive an activation email to activate your account, two days I've been waiting, no answer. So I'll ask again. Has anyone put a motor in one of these things? I own it now and am looking for some pointers, idea's or just a simple, hey your screwed on this one :lol: . I think I did alright though, it's a 95 AWD, 110000 miles, fully loaded 95 Astro, bought it from the original owner, all receipts since 95. New 700r4 7k miles ago with all papers. All new front suspension and steering everything ect, it got repainted a year and a half ago because of sand damage from a windstorm and all I paid is $250. Oh and I found an 80k motor for it for $250. What do you guys think?

95astro.jpg

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I think what you need to do to get the motor out is get it from the bottom. I am thinking it uses a subframe that drops right out. Its not impossibe to do it with out a lift but being able to use one would make things just a little easier. I think you might be able to take off the front clip to get it out, I am not sure about this.

I think your best bet would be to go from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor