Why do some people get so upset about low emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Ok, why do some people get so upset over the subject of low emissions? I have seen on a number of auto forums when the subject of emissions pops up, there are always a few ignorant posters who have to mouth off about the subject. That you should just cheat, move, bribe, etc and just try their best to derail the topic with BS. Often such persons are from areas with lax emissions enforcement, I mean if you don't have to deal with the issuse, then what is your problem then? If you just do not like the topic then don't read it. G bodies are low emission cars and something some of us must still deal with, we don't need hot heads making things harder for us.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Clone TIE Pilot said:
Ok, why do some people get so upset over the subject of low emissions?
Short answer; Because they can't figure out how to make their hacked up, worn out, POS pass.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
LOL, that is a great answer.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
DRIVEN said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:
Short answer; Because they can't figure out how to make their hacked up, worn out, POS pass.

Pretty much! Back about 20 years ago I was dumb kid and I'd routinely rip every emissions device off thinking is was either a performance improvement, weight saver or just ease of facilitating maintenance on everything else.

Being a little older now, I see the benefits and realize I wasn't making anymore power out of those late 70's/early 80's smog engines......well maybe getting rid of those old converters may have helped a little :lol:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Honestly, these cars are pretty easy to pass. In Oregon the only visual part of the inspection is to check that the cat is present. Just about any carbed vehicle can pass by leaning out the idle mixture and maybe retarding the timing as long as the cat is working. That's assuming there isn't a dead miss or billowing smoke out the tailpipe. The newest of our cars are over 25 years old now and the standards back then weren't that strict. It's not like they have to meet current numbers. In fact, the only pass/fail here now is a check engine light on any cars newer than 1995. They assume that if there are no codes the car is performing as it should. Most states have some sort of age cutoff too. If I was across the river in Washington I'd be exempt.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
No reason to get hot about it beyond the obvious issues of government interference and bureaucracy... The issue arises sometimes on the component (visual) side of the test. If it was truly about emissions and not bureaucratic money maker, then results would be the only factor that matter. If you pass the chemical test then it should not matter that you still have outdated, inefficient, flawed hardware still bolted to your engine or not.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
DRIVEN said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:

LOL, I've seen it go both ways. On several occasions, I've seen people from regulated states like commie liberal California or Rhode Island piss in someone's cereal trying to control others that have no desire or reason to comply. In Michigan and many other states, Regulation does not exist (yet) which seems to drive others that have to comply crazy. Last time I checked, only 32 states in the Union had some type of emissions testing.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
CWPottenger said:
No reason to get hot about it beyond the obvious issues of government interference and bureaucracy... The issue arises sometimes on the component (visual) side of the test. If it was truly about emissions and not bureaucratic money maker, then results would be the only factor that matter. If you pass the chemical test then it should not matter that you still have outdated, inefficient, flawed hardware still bolted to your engine or not.

The fundamental problem is that a real emissions test that verifies compliance only through a tailpipe test takes a couple of weeks and costs several thousand dollars. The sniffer test that emissions test shops run is a spot check. It only tests emissions at idle and at about 1700 RPM under load. The federal requirements encompass emissions at cold start and under a complete drive cycle. You'd really scream if you had to submit to this test every couple of years. Instead, the emissions testing philosophy that most states have gone to is a compromise. Since the spot check on the dyno only covers a very limited test of the complete operating range of the vehicle, the assumption is that if the vehicle passes this limited test and has all the equipment hooked up properly (the visual test), THEN it is assumed to be clean. This isn't perfect, but a complete drive cycle test every two years for every car on the road just isn't going to happen.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The emissions laws are just a fassad designed to make hot rodding a more expensive hobby to pursue in a fruitless effort to push new cars we can't afford to buy on credit cards we cant afford to pay as part of an effort to enslave the many for the benefit of the few while companies continue to pollute the environment on a larger scale daily; Emissions laws cause thousands of perfectly good running cars to be scrapped next to junkers every year. This establishment would rather build private prisons than endorse the possibility of automotive aftermarket manufacturing inside the United States. They would rather cash in on phone bills and commissary than see the poor be able to drive to work. They think 'progress' is you moving to the city & taking the bus or train to work while they drive around in foreign cars hiding behind tinted windows calling hits on anyone with political influence who disagrees with these theories of so-called 'progress' and when they are finished replacing as many renewable platform cars with inferior planned obsolescence platform cars as they can, they will come try to shut down your churches next. Wait and see if you don't believe that. The 'moral majority' is an obsolete phrase under today's amoral establishment and it's a shame when some senators and representatives feel they have to put God in the closet just because atheism is temporarily popular :puke: and they switch the topic to emissions every time the topic of companies polluting is brought up.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I kind of like breathing clean air, drinking clean water, seeing clean landscapes, but maybe that's just me. Sure the early emissions standards were force fed to the auto manufacturers, because they didn't care about anything but selling cars. They dragged their feet, and then scrambled ham-handedly to comply, and it was ugly. But look what we have now- almost zero tailpipe emissions, no lead in the air/water, much better fuel mileage, higher horsepower levels, and cars that tell you when they are ill. Not to mention that the computer keeps the motor running like the day it was built. What's not to like? And my NY State exempts my over-25-years-old Bonnewagon from emissions testing because my Governor is a car guy. (election day is tomorrow, wink wink, nod nod) . My state is also very hard on polluters in general but since we live down wind of all you West of us, we'd like to see you get tough on emissions/pollution too. Those huge tall smokestacks that put the fumes way up high? That sh*t comes down on us as acid rain. So if you are required to be tested just fix the friggin' thing and pass. Or elect a car guy for Governor (hint hint). :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor