why does my brake pedal go all the way down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replace the carb... CCC is a joke far as performance is concerned...

pimplogic said:
lol thanks for all the help guys but now the carbls throttle position sensor is off...

All the TPS does is bump up the idle when the A/C system is turned on to compensate for the added load on the engine.
You can disconnect it if it is interfering, and then double check your idle screw setting and you're good to go.

Pimplogic if you happen to crash in your car and either injure or god forbid kill somebody could you live with yourself?? BRAKES are priority NUMBER 1.... Vehicular homicide is a punishable offense. Fix your brakes first all around then worry about the motor.. Sorry to preach but if you hurt yourself or worse somebody else why not prevent it?.... Then you take care of the engine and upgrade the brake system accordingly. :lol: just make sure everything "safety" works.

Anyway, after everything else has been fixed and repaired properly, here's what you do to see if the calipers are frozen. Remove the caliper and brake pads from one wheel. Hang it by a wire, don't let it hang by the hose! Get a big "C" clamp and compress the piston into the caliper. Did it go right in smoothly? Now have someone slowly press the brake pedal to see if the piston moves back out. DON'T LET IT PUSH ALL THE WAY OUT!!! About 1/2" will do it. A piece of wood inserted where the pads would be is good insurance the piston doesn't come out too far. You just want to see if it moves smoothly with no binding. If it is rusty or stuck, or just crotchety, time for a rebuild or replacement. It needs to move in and out easilly to work properly. Now go do the same to the other side. If either one is bad, rebuild or replace both, the other is probably not much better. Of course all this assumes you fixed the rears and bled them so you have a good hard pedal.

Blake442 said:
pimplogic said:
lol thanks for all the help guys but now the carbls throttle position sensor is off...

All the TPS does is bump up the idle when the A/C system is turned on to compensate for the added load on the engine.
You can disconnect it if it is interfering, and then double check your idle screw setting and you're good to go.

The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) does more than that. The idle stop solenoid is what bumps up the idle, not the TPS. The TPS is what tells the ECM how far open the throttle blades are. It needs to function for the engine to operate properly.

FE3X CLONE said:
Blake442 said:
pimplogic said:

The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) does more than that. The idle stop solenoid is what bumps up the idle, not the TPS. The TPS is what tells the ECM how far open the throttle blades are. It needs to function for the engine to operate properly.

Ooops, I got 'em mixed up in my head, good catch... 😳

TO EVERYONE THE CAR IS PARKED IN THE GARAGE AWAY FROM THE AMERICAN POPULACE. lol idk if thats a word but i know the brakes are no 1 priority and thats why car is parked. i dont think anyone can live with themselves if they kill someone because of some brakes they were too stubborn to fix. common sense must dictate here. i lost a friend in car accident. thanks for the help and i am re doing the WHOLE CAR not just the motor. im gonna buy a chevy c-10 4x4

thanks doob. its between the big k or 3rd gen firebird or camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor