Why Is GBF So Laid Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Recently (within the past 6 months) I've signed up for a couple other forums for different vehicles I own, and I honestly can't stand any of them. I try to be a contributing member and help other people out, post an occasional tutorial or write up on a product, etc. Yet people on other forums seem so combative. For some reason (a good one) GBF is super laid back. GBF is very unpretentious, everyone seems to get along pretty well, rarely do threads need to be shut down. Why do you think this is? Maybe the demographic of people who own G Bodies is just very relaxed? Maybe GP403 is putting something in the water? :mrgreen: I don't know, it's just something interesting I've noticed and haven't been able to figure out why.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: 16 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Could be the demographic for the cars. Could be the name even. You have to know what a "G body" is for starters; it's a more technically minded name. "GBodyForum" is very plain-jane and open-ended for a name. Complete with a non-flashy format. And if you're willing to come to a site that presents itself that way then it's a good chance that you're willing to learn. To generalize, it's the opposite of going to "specific popular car . com."
If someone only associates themselves with one particular make and model then it's likely that they'll also only want to associate with one way of doing things, and may become aggressive when faced with something that doesn't fit their mold.

I dunno; I'm just spitballin' here.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: 11 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I think we as a group are pretty intolerant of trolls. There's one or two that occasionally post, but have reigned in their opinions in the past year. GP403 and the Moderators seem to be doing a good job keeping the electrons out, making this a positive site...

• Agree
  • Creative
Reactions: 12 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I think one big reason is EGOS. We leave them at the door. Everyone on here always tries to help other members whether they are newbies or seasoned veterans. You won’t see guys bragging about their cars here, but you will see guys congratulating other members on their efforts no matter the outcome. You also won’t see negative comments towards other members or their cars, but you will see guys with positive comments telling you don’t give up, you’ll get it right.
I also feel since we are a forum for gbodys, we are way more accepting of all makes of gbodys and people. Whether you have a GN or a four door Malibu , you will get the same advice , respect and acceptance.
I , for one, am proud to be a part of this forum. I have learned so much from so many here and always try to pass it on. timo22

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: 19 users

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Well, the one set of rules that is enforced on GBF and I have not seen anywhere else is the "stick to topic", "no personal BS against posters" "No politics".

I also believe that because G-bodies are not a mainstream car genre it attracts those of us that are more into cars for the fun and challenge of actually building a ride that matches are personality. I believe that mentality is what binds our group and lets us not always agree or like particular design, but understand and appreciate the talent, vision, and labor of love it takes for a person to build a car. When is comes to parts, up until just recently and even now can't just dial up JEGS, SUMMIT, or a butt load of vendors and buy a truckload of bolt-ons and build our car. We have to research, adapt, or fabricate what we want for the most part.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 10 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
That could be an interesting thesis for somebody working on a social sciences degree:
Is the online aggressiveness of a site's membership correlated to something about the membership?

A rough idea is that currently G-bodies get very little attention in the "old car hobby" because the perception is there's no $$$ in them -- watch any of the auctions on TV -- so the forum doesn't draw the outspoken a$$hats that always have to be right and push for "numbers matching everything"

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I agree. I mean we're not perfect: We sometimes aren't the most hospitable to those who don't type or communicate so well, but we iron things out eventually.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It does seem to be mostly unpretentious. Tons of knowledge from a staggering variety of demographics. Age, race, background, just don't matter here. Same goes for these cars. They fit everywhere in one form or another and even if you don't care for the exact style or modifications the basic car (and the shared love of them) still shines through.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Hopefully Murphy has not overheard us congratulating ourselves....

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 5 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Recently (within the past 6 months) I've signed up for a couple other forums for different vehicles I own, and I honestly can't stand any of them. I try to be a contributing member and help other people out, post an occasional tutorial or write up on a product, etc. Yet people on other forums seem so combative. For some reason (a good one) GBF is super laid back. GBF is very unpretentious, everyone seems to get along pretty well, rarely do threads need to be shut down. Why do you think this is? Maybe the demographic of people who own G Bodies is just very relaxed? Maybe GP403 is putting something in the water? :mrgreen: I don't know, it's just something interesting I've noticed and haven't been able to figure out why.

Well you just jinxed it. Nice going. There is always somebody that has to come on here and just ruin it for everybody.

We're all just sitting around, minding our own business, being super chill and then SOMEBODY comes along POINTING FINGERS at everybody... "Hey! look at that guy, being all super chill and stuff. He's DIFFERENT! Look! there's another super Chill dude. What's wrong with you people?"

I'm being Triggered over here. You better cut out your inquiries into our chill space and just go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor