why is it called a G body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well don't quote me on this, I'm no expert, but here's what I've gathered:

-The initial "G" is like a classification of priority for GM. I think that has to do with how a certain body style was selling. Like back in the early '60s, I think GM's A-body was their full-size vehicle. In the mid '60s the mid-size cars like the chevelles and cutlasses became A-bodies and the full-sizes like the impala became B-bodies.

-I'm pretty sure that all Cutlasses, Monte Carlos, Regals (G.N.s), Grand Prixs, El Caminos, and Caballeros from 78 to 88 are considered G-Bodies. Now as far as cars based off the Malibu go, I've never heard them called anything, but just the fact that they're around the forums probably means they're G-bodies.. lol

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Technically, the '78-'81 cars were A-bodies and the '82-'88 were G-bodies.

For whatever reason GM gave the A-body designation to the new FWD piece of crap cars and the original "A-body" cars were redesignated as G-bodies.

Pbngem

Greasemonkey
Oct 17, 2010
My understanding is GM made some changes in 1982 & designated the change as "G". Some of the changes were mounting locations to the frame to accomadate different engine, trans & exaust systems. They also changed to metric wheel studs that year. MonteCarlo, Elcamino. Malibu & Malibu Wagon, Cutlass & Cutlass Wagon, Regal & Gran Prix all fall into the "G" Body group. My 1985 Elcamino has extra mounting pad & holes in the frame for the trans cross member that my 1980 malibu doesn't.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
sturtz60 said:
so my 81 cutlass is a A body? but all the parts are the same as the G body

Yes, for the most part. However as stated above, you have SAE wheels studs instead of the Metric studs and the later metric chassis used a different size wheel bearing. I think it was the outer wheel bearings were smaller in the '78-'81 cars but don't remember for sure.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
FE3X CLONE said:
sturtz60 said:
I think it was the outer wheel bearings were smaller in the '78-'81 cars but don't remember for sure.

your right....they changed to the larger bearings cause alot of gm's were using the same set up..

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
sturtz60 said:
will my car take like s-10 or camaro rims?

That all depends on the bolt pattern. Rims aren't really that body specific. As long as you've got the right bolt pattern, the right lug nuts, and enough clearance, they should fit. For instance, right now I'm using 15x7 rally rims from a '71 GMC Sprint. I was able to use my own lug nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor