Why is Light blue so hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
If this will help someone on one of the Monte Carlo forums had posted this formula for the light blue in his 78 or 79. The number is for PPG and matched a cross reference number I had mixed in the SEM line about 20 years back.
79 paint code.jpg

This is an example of the color I used years ago in the SEM product line on the dash, gauge pod and console.
P1011283.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If this will help someone on one of the Monte Carlo forums had posted this formula for the light blue in his 78 or 79. The number is for PPG and matched a cross reference number I had mixed in the SEM line about 20 years back.
View attachment 128594

This is an example of the color I used years ago in the SEM product line on the dash, gauge pod and console.
View attachment 128596
The 14782 is the the correct light blue for everything but the dash/column/steering wheel. PPG list 15120 (semi-gloss) & 15149 (flat) for those areas, these are for dark blue (a bit darker than the light blue, might be GM 26 dark blue but overall listed as GM 24 as it's the primary interior color.)

Reactions: 3 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Thank you Pagrunt! ^ I was just going to Mention you.
I will look into it further and see, Will it work on the Seats too?

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yes it can work on the seats but you'll have to really clean them very good with a upholstery machine, use the proper prep/cleaner materials for the system you'll be using. The P sheets will also give list the recomended steps on preping/recoloring the soft sufaces.

Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
View attachment 128594

View attachment 128596

Well, I'll tell you what although that blue Dash color in your car gives me flashbacks of THIS MONSTROUS COLOR, (My Screwup) lol Yours is much better.

Also yes That Dash Bezel used to look like this... (2nd Picture) Until I thought it would look "Good" painted... I need to try and find a way to get it off.
But since I've had my Car I have NOT found another Plain Jane Black Bezel like mine, I've only seen Woodgrain or the Very very rare Metallic ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
First picture shows is what I think was the SEM powder blue.
Second is a custom mix done by O'Reilly Auto Parts near me.
Could have used a little less gloss.
Center console and steering wheel were not sprayed.
79 Blue Grand Am 036 (Large).jpg
seat 001.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I don't have any of the Original parts in the Light blue, They where all Painted over in Red, Then I screwed up finding the right color and they are a really ugly blue.

Are you sure nothing has the original color left on it ? What about on the back ? Most people take a short cut and only spray the stuff you can see. How about the dash ? Pop the back of the glove box door off. I did that to get an exact match for the GM gray I used in my wagon.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
West Olive, MI on US-31 Inbetween Holland & Grand Haven.
Interesting information, Can get mixup/get the Official Light blue?
You need the code off your body tag and a part that’s not sun damaged and see ray he can help you out when I did mine I I knew it was dark carmine red and I brought a kick panel and made sure the chip matched

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
You need the code off your body tag and a part that’s not sun damaged and see ray he can help you out when I did mine I I knew it was dark carmine red and I brought a kick panel and made sure the chip matched

Where is the Body Tag at? lol.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Are you sure nothing has the original color left on it ? What about on the back ? Most people take a short cut and only spray the stuff you can see. How about the dash ? Pop the back of the glove box door off. I did that to get an exact match for the GM gray I used in my wagon.

I know the dash doesn't When i got the car it didn't even have one in it, I spent 2 yrs looking for a complete one. Redyed it to that ugly blue color, So I have to take it back out and redo it.

I can look at some of the old Metal Headliner trim... It might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor