Why is my car wheel hopping?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

71ls1vega

n00b
Oct 30, 2006
Plattsburgh NY
First off id like to say Hello, i am a new member to this board. i am trying to set up the rear end in my car so it does not wheel hop.

I have boxed in the upper and lower control arms. using air bags and 50/50 shocks. without the uppers boxed and the drag bags and old old shocks i would not wheel hop on the street. only the track.

now that i have added the above said. it wheel hops right on the street. the rear end was put in the car im not sure if it was put in right(brackets welded on right) is there a way to check it to make sure it is right....

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
i'll be honest with you. boxing won't fix the problem. The ONLY way that it can be fixed well it to get the kit from SC&C. You need adjustable uppers and soild lowers. They have "johnny joints" that allow movement but hold you to the ground. When the links were designed they were meant to have flex. When you box them they sould bind and the wheel hop is still there. The cheap way out it so get anti-hop bracket. Try Ebay, search g-body and a dude has a pair. It will help but not fix the problem permantly. If you need it I'll give you the link for SC&C, they are the best in the world when it comes to making your G-body ride like a vette!

71ls1vega

n00b
Oct 30, 2006
Plattsburgh NY
the thing is, i posted on here to get idea's about the 4 link. its actually for my vega, and no g-body kit will work. i just was seeing if anyone had any pointers on how i could fix this problem.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well, the basic premise of the Anti-Hop bars should still hold true. These bars (which I have and love) move the rear mounting oint of the upper bar upwards, thereby pointing the bar down. This moves the Instant Center (IC) back (in the case of a Gbody, usually near the center of that car, about at the dash). The IC is the imaginary point where the bars would meet. I don't honestly know how or why that works; its stuff I've read and in my experience, it rings true. Another tip they say is to make the lower bar parallel with the ground (adjust ride height).

There is my two cents. I would think the basic principals would remain the same in your case. Hope that helps a little!!

Floydsbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2006
Western PA
Try a pinion snubber. Worked for me!

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
do vegas not have a three link like a camaro?
if so, then you can use all the tricks f body owners use.
-get the brackets sold on ebay that weld to the rear axle and lower the bottom control arms
-change the bushings to poly
-make an adjustable torque arm (this will probably take the hop out altogether its self
-rear sway bar

if its not a three link then most of the stuff except the torque arm suggestion will work
you can also make a version of the traction action bars for g body
and then theres what i did till i got more money, shorter coils, they make the lower arms more horizontal to the ground and will try to push forward
__ instead of up /.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I agree w/ 383. I had an a huge issue w/ wheel hop when I put in my posi rear end. I bought a set of trac bars on Jegs and put them in. It moves the upper control arms up and forces the rear end down. Ever since I havn't had a problem, even with my drag radials on. They were only about $150 for the pair, I'm sure something like that is avaliable for your car. It was deffinatly worth the cost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor