Why is there a ground strap on the heater core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm in process of cleaning up and refurbing my 78 Salons heater box assembly. I'm replacing the heater core with a new one. I don't understand why there is a ground strap from the heater core to the firewall. Does it need to be there? I smoothed my firewall and really don't want a ground strap protruding out the front of the heater box. :wtf:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It's there to help fight electrolysis in the cooling system. Without it you can get a lot more corrosion between the dissimilar metals in the engine.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The brass heater core is suspended in a plastic/foam surround and is connected to the iron engine block by rubber heater hoses - the ground strap is the only metallic connection. Dissolved minerals will make a weak electrolyte out of the coolant. Maybe you could power a dash LED off the combination.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
HAFROD said:
I smoothed my firewall and really don't want a ground strap protruding out the front of the heater box. :wtf:

I would just make or buy a longer ground strap and ground it someplace that is hidden if that is your concern.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Not sure dont remember my malibu having one. The only ground i can think of back there is the head to firewall ground.
But function is better than appearance probly best to keep it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor