Why LS swaps made everything better

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I don't see an issue reusing the bolts if they're not failed or fugged up. That's why I think it was a money grab by bolt manufacturers. Believe me, GM recommends buying NEW bolts every time.

For those wondering about whether to reuse TTY bolts, there was some pretty decent and comprehensive testing done on GM TTY bolts compared to new bolts and other brands and it was suggested to reuse TTY OEM bolts 3-5 times. Believe it or don't. But if you have doubts, replace the bolts. It's your money and peace of mind.

For Powerpoint and Excel files, here's the link.

For those who don't want to rifle through all that, here's the summary page below. Basically, he suggests ARP bolts are high quality, but not worth the ROI on a stock rebuild, but good for high HP applications. Chinesium...fuggedaboutit.

View attachment 168931

You beat me to it! I just spent 20 minutes trying to find that. LOL.

I spent a bunch of time cleaning the used bolts up, lubing the threads and underhead/shoulder before running them in. Seems to have worked out okay so far.

I have a set of ARP studs for the 4.8L... they cost more than the whole engine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Seems a bit too easy:

And if money was no object:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I re-used the 4.8 TTY head bolts and put down 23 psi by mistake on the 2nd hit.

The right way, the wrong way............ the LS way

BTW 23 psi on the 4.8 made 675 whp with the ultra conservative tune 1st time in the dyno

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't see an issue reusing the bolts if they're not failed or fugged up. That's why I think it was a money grab by bolt manufacturers. Believe me, GM recommends buying NEW bolts every time.

For those wondering about whether to reuse TTY bolts, there was some pretty decent and comprehensive testing done on GM TTY bolts compared to new bolts and other brands and it was suggested to reuse TTY OEM bolts 3-5 times. Believe it or don't. But if you have doubts, replace the bolts. It's your money and peace of mind.

For Powerpoint and Excel files, here's the link.

For those who don't want to rifle through all that, here's the summary page below. Basically, he suggests ARP bolts are high quality, but not worth the ROI on a stock rebuild, but good for high HP applications. Chinesium...fuggedaboutit.

View attachment 168931

I can't count the number of times I've reused TTY bolts, even on boosted stuff. Never had an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'll just leave this here....

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'll just leave this here....

Currently researching Rommel for school... I am dying here because this hits me on so many levels.

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
"What the f*** am I doing here? I wanted to go fast for cheap, but you said build it right." 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor