Why rushing is a very stupid idea lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I won't lie, I try to be patient when I can but some days it just isn't easy, especially when you are trying to do something quick working on a vehicle, while it's getting cold outside and the sun is going down.

Still no excuses, as I nearly burned down my Caprice from moving the alternator with the battery connected. It was a very easy but pretty dumb mistake.

That said, can anyone tell me whats the best way to protect the alternator terminal at the back? Merry Christmas by the way, hope everyone is doing well and being safer than I was lol.

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Some gm cars from the factory had a small plastic cap that snapped over the terminal. I have a boot on mine for protection. I also have a circuit breaker inline bit really need to move it closer to the alt

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
First rule of electrical work when replacing components. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, then the positive. You should service the terminals anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
First rule of electrical work when replacing components. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, then the positive. You should service the terminals anyways.
I always disconnect the positive, get the cable(s) out of the way cover the terminal with proper type of tape. Never too much for safety.

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
That's just one of the problems with computer cars. The computer has "keep alive" memory with a live battery feed, and when you disconnect the battery (like you should) the computer forgets everything it's learned about making you car run "right." Then it has to start over, and you think it's dying for a while, like maybe you did something wrong while working on it. So people try to avoid disconnecting the battery, which leads to incidents.

As for rushing? Nobody's found a cure yet. :mrgreen:

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I'll bet there's not one person on this forum that hasn't done the " I think I can do this without doing that mistake". Sometimes it becomes a bit more costly than other times. Patience is sometimes hard to do even at the best of times. I know I've paid plenty of "stupid tax" as Dave Ramsey calls it, but the mistake is made and the lesson is learned so I know next time be more careful when I do the same thing again. HaHa. You are in good company here. We feel your pain.

• Agree

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I would agree with the above statement.

I was at a safety meeting conference one time and the head speaker told us something I'll never forget he said " you should never say I knew that was going to happen"
He is totally right and it's something I've taught my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor