Whymee's 86 Choo Choo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whymee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2019
West Virginia
Hiya cats & kittens!

Just purchased a 86 Choo Choo. On the way home (2 hr. drive) I had plenty of time to evaluate the driving mannerisms.

Pulls to the left & harder turning the wheel to the right. After a FEA I have come to the conclusion that I need a new steering box.

Other than that the only thing that concerned me is the lack of power thrown down by the 305. Got home, researched what I thought the approach might be. Decided on a vortec 350 to slip in place of the 305. One just happen to fall in my lap yesterday. Mounted it on my stand and the research will continue as to what I need to complete this swap.

This is what I am starting with...

IMG_3342.JPG IMG_3345.JPG IMG_3346.JPG IMG_3357.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome
and please start with a few basic front end checks & an a alignment before jumping into an endless sea of replacing of parts. Simple things like the tires .

and let's see some pictures of the fleet ....no teasing us with a 76 Trans Am.

Whymee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2019
West Virginia
The motor is pretty ghastly looking. By the time I go through it it will look quite nice.

IMG_3359.JPG

I hope I can find some posts about the install here in this forum or on the 'ole interwebs.

Whymee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2019
West Virginia
Welcome
and please start with a few basic front end checks & an a alignment before jumping into an endless sea of replacing of parts. Simple things like the tires .

and let's see some pictures of the fleet ....no teasing us with a 76 Trans Am.

I have given it a FEA and rotated the front tires. No change. The alignment tech checked for a loose front end and I did too when I rotated the tires. This CC has 103K miles on it. Looks like 30K, it is that clean and rust free.

As far as the Trans Am pics, I had no intention of clogging up a Gbody form with such nonsense. But you did ask...
LS3, TKO600, hydro boost brakes & hyd. clutch.

IMG_3369.JPG IMG_3370.JPG

Just snapped these. Though I had better get updated pics iffin there was q's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have given it a FEA and rotated the front tires. No change. The alignment tech checked for a loose front end and I did too when I rotated the tires. This CC has 103K miles on it. Looks like 30K, it is that clean and rust free.

As far as the Trans Am pics, I had no intention of clogging up a Gbody form with such nonsense. But you did ask...
LS3, TKO600, hydro boost brakes & hyd. clutch.

View attachment 115417 View attachment 115432
Friggin sleeper man, I love it! Keeping the shaker scoop there probably fools a sh*t ton of people!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Whymee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2019
West Virginia
As some of you know the stock Camino handles fairly poorly. I want to stiffen up the ride a tad, so I ordered in some KYB shocks. Deleting the air shocks. I may go with sway bars, but time will tell.

I also, fairly immediately, want to install a stockish tach in place of the delete plate.

Plus some other stuff as I see fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor