Wicked Hot 79...Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Bad Martha gets too hot too fast. Suspect Clutch Fan

symptom's after a short 3 mile ride the temp starts climbing 180 up to almost the red line.

Shut off and the clutch fan free spins call it a night .
This AM cold not started clutch fan still spins freely both defections - no change

Is the clutch Fan suppose to do that ?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
180 is not overheating. If you have a 180 degree thermostat that is where it just starts to open. I would start with an accurate temp gauge. Is it boiling over in the reserve bottle? The clutch is supposed to turn freely when cold. To check the fan clutch, make sure it is a temperature activated one. It will have a spring or a piece of flat metal on the front. Block the air flow in front of the grill, set your throttle at about 2000 RPM. As it gets hot you will hear the clutch kick in and feel the air being pulled. This is one part that you don't skimp on the price. I would not replace it with a flex fan

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
The car never runs hot new problem. it has been cool at night so getting it up to 40 mph helped keep it cool. but a soon as I stop for a red light it starts climbing again drive off get up to speed and it cools to about 250. has a 180 thermostat always ran around 180 and I believe the temp gage is good. I replaced the fan clutch 1 1/2 years ago so fairly new. also oil was down quart so I topped that off.

again parked off and very hot should the clutch fan still spin freely

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If it's hot as balls and the clutch spins freely, it could be a torque limiting fan clutch. They don't have the spring on the front. Thermal ones do. But it should be hard to spin when cold. Getting up to speed and things cool down, I would suspect there's at least PART of the issue will be your fan clutch.

Thermal fan clutches spin easily when cold with little resistance, but when hot, they lock up the clutch. If yours is a thermal type and spins easily by hand when hot, I don't care how old it is, it's a goner. When the car is hot, and you shut it off, the thermal type will spin a maximum of about 1/2 turn and stop. More than that and it's likely toast.

Torque limiting ones are firm when cold, then at a specified RPM (higher) it will "break free". So if it's a torque limiting one and it's easy to spin by hand (because the engine is obviously at 0 rpm with your hand in there), it's a goner.

Everything you describe so far says regardless of the type of clutch you have, it's done. It's not working right in either scenario.

Check out this thread below. It discusses fan clutches and their operation. Maybe it can give you some insight.

This is all assuming that your thermostat is operating properly, and the flows are good, topped off, etc. Lord forbid if you got a head gasket leak.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
What your describing sounds like a bad clutch fan but it also sounds like a bad thermostat.

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
I just called Oreilly's they have the part and will honor the warranty free part.

I will update with results. thanks 69Hurstolds good info

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Also sounds like a bad thermostat.... could be also new part to the car 1 1/2 years old.
I did not move the heater controls to hot see if I was getting heat . maybe in the Fall I'll try moving them to hot but not in the summer

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Yup clutch fan... after it got hot I had the kid start it and I could hold the fan from spinning.

replaced and running a cool 190

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
Good to see you're up and running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor