Wideband AFR tuning a carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’ve come really close over the past couple of months to buying a Holley Super Sniper EFI for the 519 Cadillac engine in my Malibu. The Quick Fuel 1050 annular booster carb with factory jetting does very well. Fires right up, good response, excellent road manners when cruising, very good plug color with no dampness. It really seems to be very close on my combo. It has a slight hesitation in 3rd gear when floor it which I believe either a rear powervalve change or 50cc rear accelerator pump would fix.

I’ve read loads of info, watched tons of videos, etc. I just can’t make myself spend in excess of two grand with so many neutral and negative reviews. I bought a Autometer Ultralight AFR gauge to match the rest of my stuff and will install this weekend. As much for enjoyment as anything.

Is anybody else out there tuning a carb with an AFR gauge? It has data collection capabilities so should come in handy once I choose a nitrous kit.

Reactions: 1 user

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I want to get one of those for my 67 k10. I’ve looked at a bunch of them and can’t pull the trigger. It would be nice to know where your at from idle to haul the mail. Let us know if you get one and how it works out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had the new version of the AEM A/F gauge and it takes all the guesswork away.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I have an AFR gauge on my car, and it was just what I needed to finally get my Edelbrock to work correctly. They are definitely worth it.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I had the new version of the AEM A/F gauge and it takes all the guesswork away.

Yes, it's like a cheat code for tuning a carb. Set the main jetting, move onto needles (Edelbrock), do secondaries and done. It idled stoich all the time, cruised stoich, stepped up around 13.5-14:1 on primaries and secondaries took it down to 12.9:1. Every time, no matter the weather. Only reason I ditched it for EFI was it boiled fuel like mad and would leave me stranded. I tuned a friend's Holley and it didn't seem to have that big a range of AFRs, i.e. cruise with no stink then floor it and have all the fuel you need.

Reactions: 2 users

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
I’d think one of the hurdles to overcome when adapting an afr to a carbureted vehicle is where to put the o2 sensor without a factory location? If it’s going to be permanent you’d probably need to weld on a bung. Does the gauge come with something like that?

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’d think one of the hurdles to overcome when adapting an afr to a carbureted vehicle is where to put the o2 sensor without a factory location? If it’s going to be permanent you’d probably need to weld on a bung. Does the gauge come with something like that?

I added a bung when I built my headers months ago in preparation for EFI. The gauge also comes with a bung and instructions on where to put it.

Reactions: 1 users

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I have one on the Cutlass drove it yesterday for the first time. My problem right now is that i am open header and the sensor is too close to the tip so i get bad readings.
My carb is also very inconsistent. I rebuilt it many years ago drove a little and say for about 5 years. Im probably just gonna go to EFI honestly. the car was already LS swapped with a carb when I got it.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I have one on the Cutlass drove it yesterday for the first time. My problem right now is that i am open header and the sensor is too close to the tip so i get bad readings.
My carb is also very inconsistent. I rebuilt it many years ago drove a little and say for about 5 years. Im probably just gonna go to EFI honestly. the car was already LS swapped with a carb when I got it.

Cool. The 4150 EFI systems are just too hit or miss in the reviews. For a ‘bolt on and drive’ setup it sure seems like a lot of unexpected difficulties are out their with less than stellar tech help. My intake has cast-in injector bungs so if I go ahead with EFI it will likely be multport and me tuning it. That would be better anyway and not a lot more expensive.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
IMG_4066.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor