Will 10" wide wheels fit on the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at a set of 15" Aluminum slotted wheels that are 8" wide fronts and 10" wide rears.
I love that deep dish look and I'm curious to know if the 10" wide rears will fit without rubbing if they have the proper backspacing.
Part 2, what would that proper backspacing be? 4"?

I would use the tires that are on the car now. 275/60/15 but they will be wider with a wider rim.

Thanks.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I wanted to add that I'm a bit of a wheel nut.
I have a set of 80's Z28 rims on it now and look okay but they came with the car and they are painted red and white.
I also have a set of 79 Firebird snowflake wheels at home that are in great shape but need a cleaning.
I don't really need the slotted wheels but I had a set on an 81 Camaro back in the 80's and loved the look.

Thanks again.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
just watch your backspacing and it should be fine... 4" should be confortable, 4.5" might be snugg.
... it might also stick past the fender skirt.
carefull with tire buldge as well... may catch some rub on the frame rail.
the tires in my avatar picture ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>>
are 13" wide, on 8" rim. They stick out about 1" past the fender skirt.
I also know of a few guys running similarly wide tires on 10" rims with no problems.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Khan,

I did some searching on google and got a mixed bag of answers.
lots of people said they ran 4.5" backspacing with 10" or 10.5" wheels, some ran 4".
A few said they had problems. Some notched the frame some did not.
My tires may be a bit too tall for that width at 28".

The basic story was that what will fit varies from one car to another. All depends how straight the car was built and they weren't all built straight.
I think I will measure what I have and see how much room I have to play.

I would love to hear from anyone who is running a 10" wide rear wheel.

Thanks again.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I forgot to mention Khan, I do like that wide stance.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yeah, seems like you discovered the common problem. I've found the same thing in my research... and it all comes down to bad build quality and inconsistant frame rail widths.
It's an extra problem if your frame was repaired (like mine, I can barely run 4" BS without problems). The slicks in my picture are using 3" Backspace.
In general however, I've found the buicks have more consistant backspace available. Where as others are all over the place.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I ran 245-50-16 on an 8" wheel with 4.5" backspacing and I had maybe 1/2" from the tire to the rail with the metric rear end. I'm installing a rear end 2.5" wider than the metric rear so I'm thinking the rims will sit nice with this set set up. I think the inconsistencies with the different backspacing is incorrect measuring of the wheels. The frame rails and frames of the metric cars were jig located and they all were the same measurements + or - the allowable tolerances

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Cutlass below 30x9 radial slick on a 10 inch rim, no notch.

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor