Will 64-72 "A" body exhaust work on G body??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Now that torque tech is out of business, I can't seem to locate any good 3" systems for G body except pypes and I'd rather not use their system.

Has anyone used a system designed for a 64-72 A body Chevelle on an 80 Malibu and how well did it fit?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If it would fit they would market it for the G body, why don't you go get it custom made at a local exhaust shop instead of multiple threads on the same subject. You did find a good system by Hooker but you don't want to pay the $750 they are asking

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Are you always this helpful? If you don't like my questions you don't have to answer, just move along.

TA performance lists their 64-72 A body and 78-88 G body kit as the same part number. The cars have similar dimensions so I'm thinking someone has tried it before.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
To get it done custom at a shop can be expensive, most shops don't carry 3" so it will have to be ordered in. Then there is the charge for each bend, cats an mufflers.

24'-3" about $240 or more
10 bends $100 or more
Hardware $20 or more
Cats if your going to use?
Mufflers?
Labour?

It's ok if your going to do the labour yourself, but you'll need the old pipes for the shop to follow. Now my go to shop has all the factory specs on piping so they can build it out of any size pipe.

So if you can install yourself maybe check the shops around you an see if they can manufacture piping for ya.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Back in the late '80's/early '90's guys modified them to fit cause there was nothing out there, but it's not worth it now. With the current offerings it'll be better to buy a actual '78 & up kit. Right now the aboved mentioned Hooker kit would be the best 3" kit out now. Shop around the other kits and any local shops that could do 3" pipes. Again, search for other post here for what others used/made. Might even guild you in another direction that would work for you.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Not saying they won't fit, but I doubt they will fit well.

A bodies have the frame sloping upwards as they go to the bumper more than G bodies, and they have more room between the frame, lower quarter and fuel tank that G bodies don't.

Random 68 chevelle I found online. Note how the exhaust can fit between the frame, tire, and quarter and tuck into the car better. Basically you can't see the exhaust when you stand on the side of the car.
1968-chevrolet-chevelle-suspension.jpg

Here's the pypes 3" rear dump on my GP. If It had a slight downturn similar to the chevelle it could fit up a bit more, but there isn't much space between the frame and the lower quarter. G body frames hug the quarters as they flare out to the rear bumper more than the A bodies.
CAM02846_zpsc1dkknvr.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't see how TA performance lists one size fits all cause the 64 to 67 has a 115 wheel base, the 68-72 has a 112 wheel base. The G body has a 108 wheelbase. The A body is wider than a G body as well

• Agree

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I tried the 3" A-body dual tailpipe kit from Flowmaster on my aerocoupe. T/A Performance was the only company I saw that offered a 3" tailpipe kit but it was hatefully expensive. I already had the main header to muffler pipes so no need for a whole kit. The driver's side wasn't too far off. The passenger side wasn't close to fitting and took a ton of work that ended up being something I wasn't proud of, but it worked.

I ran that setup for a year before making my custom X-pipe/side exit exhaust. If I had to do it again I would just buy a G-body kit. Maybe if I had a lift it would have been easier but that project made me dread anything exhaust related.

Just remember the A-body cars are all around bigger which means any pipe that runs up, down, and sideways will need cut down to length.

Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
It's going to cost a good bit of money regardless. If you truly want to save money, just have your local exhaust shop fab up your system from scratch.

• Agree

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Are you always this helpful? If you don't like my questions you don't have to answer, just move along.

TA performance lists their 64-72 A body and 78-88 G body kit as the same part number. The cars have similar dimensions so I'm thinking someone has tried it before.
Michael, pontiacgp was just trying to point out the obvious. For a guy that joined 3 weeks ago with 8 posts , you might want to try and fit in better.
And why start another thread about the same subject? pontiacgp has been on here a long time and is a well respected member of this forum..
timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor