will a camaro 305 tpi engine pass cali smog in 81 monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementoleflows

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2006
since the monte ss was a 305 motor im sure the camaro 305 tpi swap would be basically bolt in. i think it would pass cailfornia smog but would like to be sure before i swap one in.

what kind of power are people pushing out of those motors?

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
I wouldnt quite say bolt in... the block will bolt right up, but theres a fair bit of wiring and all of that that you need to put in as well, the computer, all the sensors, ecm, all that fun stuff.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
elementoleflows said:
What kind of power are people pushing out of those motors?
If its a L98 motor then it should have about 230 HP and 320 Ft/Lbs of torque. They upped the power on the TPI Camaro motors later on by upping the compression ratio. Typically they were 9.5:1. Up from the 180 HP SS Monte motor. Its a solid motor but you'll have a rough time with the wiring. You might want to get the ECU and wiring harness w/ the motor.

elementoleflows

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2006
what if i was to get the motor, transmission, wiring harness, and ecu basicaly the complete swap from a camaro. what would be the difficulties in the wiring? if i had all that shouldnt it be a rather easy swap?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
Get everything you can from the donor car. Its not an easy swap. The wiring is a royal pain in the *ss. Also don't forget you need the fuel injection intank fuel pump and sender as well. or get a in line pump for fuel inj. The level of difficulty will depend on you or your help and the know how you have. I found the wiring to be the hardest.

elementoleflows

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2006
i have good knowledge on the manual labor portion its the wiring i was afraid of. what problems are there say if i have a whole camaro to take anything form i would need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor