Will my air compressor do the trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Never painted a car in my life, mostly just used rattle cans for things i needed painting. I just got an 83 MC and decided that I would like to paint it if possible. My question is that I currently have a 33 gal 2hp oiless craftsman compressor, the vertical one. Will this be enough to do the job of painting my car?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It should do fine. Get a good inline filter to remove moisture.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
looks at the specs on your compressor and then see what your spray gun requires. And remember the 2 hp motor isn't really 2 hp....if you do use that compresor make sure it is on a circuit that won't trip the breaker.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I painted my car using a 5hp, 60 gallon upright compressor and it pretty much ran continuously.
Do yourself a favor and read up on technique. It's not that difficult. Prep is a critical factor.
Your 33 gal, 2hp should probably be sufficient enough. Get a decent gun and a good filtration system.
You may have to practice more patience with your setup. You want to maintain a sufficient amount of air.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Don't want to discourage you from trying to paint but you need to do a lot of investigating if not take a class in such. You also need some kind of a paint booth to do it in. I know you want your paint job to look professional but it will be hard to do w/o experience. I've painted several cars only to learn I'm not a painter. I have also taken a couple of cars to Macco for their specials and if you prep the car
(paint is only as good as the prep) you can get a GOOD paint job. With the price of paints and supplies now days your going to have a lot of money invested doing it yourself and you don't want to have to re-do. I did some painting on the Sonoma that looked good and wasn't that visible, but when it came to having the hood painted I paid the man his money. Then again we have to start somewhere.

paint.JPG

paint2.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

Last edited:
  • Useful
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good advice indeed. (y)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Lots of people have painted without a booth. I think that compressor will be a little small to do it comfortably without having to wait for it to catch up. I would NOT jump right in to painting your car on the first try. Grab a junk hood or fender and practice on that first. And before you even practice on the junk fender, set the gun up by spraying onto a piece of cardboard. If you have any mechanical skill, it really isn't too bad to learn. You may not be a professional body man by the time you're done, but for most of us the results will be reasonable.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lots of people have painted without a booth. I think that compressor will be a little small to do it comfortably without having to wait for it to catch up. I would NOT jump right in to painting your car on the first try. Grab a junk hood or fender and practice on that first. And before you even practice on the junk fender, set the gun up by spraying onto a piece of cardboard. If you have any mechanical skill, it really isn't too bad to learn. You may not be a professional body man by the time you're done, but for most of us the results will be reasonable.
Again, good advice! I couldn't agree more.
Painting a vehicle is quite an undertaking. Not for the faint of heart. I ended up making my own booth using clear Visqueen over the ceiling and covering the walls. I used a box fan in one window for exhaust and covered the opposite window with A/C filter elements.
Of course, I had to remove both of my other cars and a bunch of other garage fixtures. Fortunately, I had my wife help hold the plastic while I stapled it up. It was a time consuming job, I bullshit you not. It was alot easier to pull down everything after I got done.
Perhaps if you can do the prep work, or if you have a friend or two that can help with the bodywork and prep, maybe consider having Maaco shoot the car.
Why I chose to do it myself this time, because years back I had the car done at Maaco. It looked great for several years, but I cut corners as far as the prep was concerned and the paint started to peel. That's when I decided to take a crack at it.
Doing it yourself isn't going to save you much money. By the time you buy paint, primer and supplies, etc.etc. you have a sizable investment in this endeavor.
Lighting is very important. You can never have enough lighting....that's where i fell short.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Good paint, primer, clear, hardner, thinner, etc will cost you upwards of $600 or more. Really depends on color. My buddy painted a motorcycle tank and fenders only, material costs were $600 for House of Kolors paint! It totaled less than a quart of paint!

• Agree
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good paint, primer, clear, hardner, thinner, etc will cost you upwards of $600 or more. Really depends on color. My buddy painted a motorcycle tank and fenders only, material costs were $600 for House of Kolors paint! It totaled less than a quart of paint!
....and that was just for a motorcycle tank...
Yeah, the cost for supplies is eye opening to say the least. It also depends on the grade of paint, hardener, etc. I recall when Jim (Liquidh8) had his wagon painted, I think he used a new trick Corvette color...basecoat/ clearcoat. It was several hundred bucks a quart.... yowza! That was just paint alone.

I did my car in single stage urethane...nothing fancy...and it was around $600-700. for paint, hardener, and thinner. Not including tape, masking paper, sandpaper, a new spraygun, etc, etc, It wasn't a show quality paint job, but presentable enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor