Will my th250 bolt up to a 350 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torcharama

n00b
Apr 23, 2020
I have a 1980 oldsmobile cutlass with a 3.8l v6 and I'm looking to v8 swap it and I have a th250 in the car right now that came stock. But I was wondering if the stock transmission will bolt up to a 350 chevy with an adapter because of the B.O.P style bellhousing

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I recommend using a Chevy trans. Adapters require spacers under the converter to maintain pump engagement. Spacers are a problem waiting to happen IMO

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
It depends on the 350. If it’s stock and just a driver it will work ok for a long time. If you’re towing, nope. If your more than stock, nope. The adapter plates work fine as do the washers used as spacers. I have used them on wayyyy more than a 350 and zero issues. I still own one.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have used them before even on some mild performance builds without issue and for more me it was definitely a money thing and at the time I knew more people with good BOP transmissions but these were also all th350 trans.

Last edited:

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I have used them before even on some mild performance builds without issue and for more me it was definitely a money thing and at the time I knew more people with good BOP transmissions but these were also all th350 trans.

Good info. They don't automatically explode just because there is a 350 in front of them. And again, there is nothing wrong with a BOP trans adapter. Oh, and the BOP cases don't split bellhousing like Chevy cases do...……...especially TH400s.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had a good high mile TH250C last one day behind my 8 to 1 mild 403, black fluid and no first gear. All the adapters aren't equal, I used the cheaper one on the Olds 350 powered Z71. I could only get 4 out of 6 bo!ts into the motor. It held up fine being a mild 350. The thicker Transdapt adapter has the button head fasteners so all bolts are engaged and longer dowel pins available. As far as the torque converter, I usually add at least 2 washers between the flexplate and converter lugs. I didn't on a higher stall converter, actually pulled the converter ahead enough to cause a major leak, washers in, problem fixed. That was on a 2004R with no adapter in place, so expect at least 3 washers in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor