Will someone please do a write up on header wrap !

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
OK lets see here, Can we get somebody out there in the Gbody world to do a write up on header wrap.
Try to include the following ;
Length required for long tube headers ,Etc.
Can you do only the upper portion of the tubes ?
Good, Better, Best brands.
Fasteners that work
What point to start from?
can it be wrapped with the headers on the motor?
If yes , Best methods.

:roll: Man she's gotta nice butt .

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I used the header wrap and metal ties from AutoZone. My headers were burning the hell out of my plug wires. I removed the header from the car. The packaging tells the length needed for the diameter of the tubes. I just added a couple more inches for insurance. After I wrapped them, I painted them with ceramic header paint. Turned out pretty good on the passenger side. I still need to do the driver's side, but the passenger side is the hardest of the two.

PS. She ain't got a butt :lol:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use Thermo-Tec 2" wrap on my headers, I have probably wrapped a dozen or so small and big block chevy headers.
I have used other brands and they are all comparable the main thing is to make sure you get the highest temp. rated usually around 2000 degree.
Buy more than you think you will need just to have extra on hand, they have a formula to figure length on the package based on diameter with a specific amount of overlap.
You can not install them properly in car and doing only the top half is pointless
They do sell header sleeves and sheilds that help manage heat but don't really compare to a wrap.
I used to use stainless zip straps but I use stainlees zip ties now which work great for securing the wrap.

This my procedure when I do a wrap:
First I calculate the length needed for a specific tube.I actually add a couple feet to the recommended length so I can get more overlap and it guarantees you will have enough for tight bends.
I then lay the wrap out completely flat on a clean surface.
I use a spray bottle with water and mist the entire length and flip it over and do the other side.
Start the wrap up as close to the header flange as possible(with EGT bungs start below them)
Wrap the wrap over itself and keep tension on it(being damp makes it more pliable and it will grab itself better) and slowly work your angle in keeping the wrap tight at all times, continue working your way down all the while keeping the wrap tight.
Bends get a little trickier as one side will have more overlap, you might have to remist the wrap depending on working conditions and how fast you are.
Once you get down to the collector end depending on the style of header if your collector is welded on you will have to finesse the wrap through the tubes near the collector, if you have slip tubes make sure not to put wrap on approx. the last two inches so they can slide in the collector properly.
Once you have wrapped the tube and it is tight put your stainless zip tie on and make sure it is centered over the wrap so it can get a good grip on it, use a pair of pliers or channelocks to pull the zip tie tight and cut off the remainder.
Continue to the next primary tube, some headers like SBC if there is no room in between the two center primary tubes you will have to wrap both tubes together.
If you are going to wrap the collector you can do that separately after all your primary tubes are done.
Let the headers dry for a day before installing or applying high heat header wrap spray.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 1,656
  • IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,320

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey thanks for the heads up, That is great info. So what would the cost be for a decent wrap job ?
$150 or less or $150 or more ???/ This being done by yourself....

jake

:roll: Tight butt then !

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
87BlazeLS said:
Hey thanks for the heads up, That is great info. So what would the cost be for a decent wrap job ?
$150 or less or $150 or more ???/ This being done by yourself....

jake

:roll: Tight butt then !

I would say at least $150 to do a set of V8 headers, I have seen package deals that have wrap,ties and paint for good prices
I'm sure if you shop around you can get some good deals Thermo-Tec, DEI or other brands.
Obviously the larger and longer the header tubes the more wrap you need, it takes 3 rolls to do my big block headers but I don't use it sparingly either, I install it to do a job the fact that I like the way it looks is a bonus.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
The formula for the length is:

((Length of primary tube(inches) / (wrap width - overlap used)) X (2 X 3.14159 X (primary tube diameter / 2))

So for a 36 inch long primary tube, 2 inch wrap width, 1/4 inch overlap, and a 1 5/8 inch primary tube dimater we have:

(36"/(2" - 1/4")) X (2 X 3.14159 X (1 5/8" / 2)) = around 105" to wrap a STRAIGHT pipe

For each bend in the tube, it is recommended around 8 extra inches should be added to that length.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I had header wrap on my hooker headers when i initially got my GP and took it off immediatly after picking it up. The tubes were starting to rust out... :shock: not to mention the fiberglass crap that got stuck to my skin when i changed the plugs. :| I would prefer to get them ceramic coated instead. Just my opionion.. :mrgreen:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
85GPLef41 said:
I had header wrap on my hooker headers when i initially got my GP and took it off immediatly after picking it up. The tubes were starting to rust out... :shock: not to mention the fiberglass crap that got stuck to my skin when i changed the plugs. :| I would prefer to get them ceramic coated instead. Just my opionion.. :mrgreen:

I would say there are definitely many applications that a ceramic coating would be better than header wrap.
For me it works out well because my car is garage kept which is heated in the winter and my car is only driven in nice weather.
For anything that is a daily driver or driven in different weather conditions I would recommend a ceramic coating these conditions will shorten the lifespan of header wrap.
I have had coated headers before also and I went with the wrap because of how much better it manages heat and that is really the only reason to use it.
A couple years ago I redid my wrap when I rebuilt my engine and the wrap that was on there was ten years old
when I took the wrap off the headers were still painted from my initial install (I used high heat black paint) with no signs of rust.
I think rust isssues could also be caused by improper installation or cheaper wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor