Window Stuck on 1986 Monte Carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Forum member @5spdCab supplied me with photos of where everything should mount and it worked like a champ. Shockingly, manual window doors have the holes in them for the power window regulators - who'd a guessed
One of the perks of GM cheaping out when our cars were built, one shell for both.

And a FYI for all haing to rip the guts out of the door (power or manual), The Fisher manual call for using U nuts (p/n 3916700 or 3982098) & 1/4-20x1/2 screws (p/n 9419723 or equivalent), torqued 90-125 in-lbs/10-14 N-m.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
One of the perks of GM cheaping out when our cars were built, one shell for both.

And a FYI for all haing to rip the guts out of the door (power or manual), The Fisher manual call for using U nuts (p/n 3916700 or 3982098) & 1/4-20x1/2 screws (p/n 9419723 or equivalent), torqued 90-125 in-lbs/10-14 N-m.
I would've went for those clip nuts. They would've made the entire process somewhat easier. Where were you when I tackled this project lol ;)

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I would've went for those clip nuts. They would've made the entire process somewhat easier. Where were you when I tackled this project lol ;)
South of you across that boarder in a "bit more free" state. I found this out gutting a power door shell for my Monte over ten years ago. I have a complete set for both doors incase the other one needs gutted or laziness kicks in & I convert to power windows. Plan to go this way with the power lock motors too.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
South of you across that boarder in a "bit more free" state. I found this out gutting a power door shell for my Monte over ten years ago. I have a complete set for both doors incase the other one needs gutted or laziness kicks in & I convert to power windows. Plan to go this way with the power lock motors too.
Haha. I know most of PA is 'pretty' rural. And it's really easy to think of NY only as the part at the end of the Hudson. But I'll bet that if you spent much time in St. Lawrence or Franklin county, then you'd feel a bit oppressed in the land surrounding philly cheese steaks.

Aw, just kidding.

I looked into power locks, but they didn't have the same appeal to me. I know it's very popular for weight reduction to have manual windows or non-functioning lexan windows. But being at the track by myself on an 80-90 degree day the power windows start looking pretty good.

Are wagon and 4 door power window motor/regulators the same as the coupes?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Haha. I know most of PA is 'pretty' rural. And it's really easy to think of NY only as the part at the end of the Hudson. But I'll bet that if you spent much time in St. Lawrence or Franklin county, then you'd feel a bit oppressed in the land surrounding philly cheese steaks.

Aw, just kidding.

I looked into power locks, but they didn't have the same appeal to me. I know it's very popular for weight reduction to have manual windows or non-functioning lexan windows. But being at the track by myself on an 80-90 degree day the power windows start looking pretty good.

Are wagon and 4 door power window motor/regulators the same as the coupes?
The motors should be but regulators don't look the same in the Fisher manual I have handy.. Don't have the parts catalogs handy to cross the doors.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yup, both patterns are there. I need to replace the driver's one in mine, it's wore out.

That part has me wondering, never have seen a spring anywhere in mine, either side.
Yeah, after I posted it, the vagueness kind of bothered me too. Thing here is that if he is dealing with motor drives, he is not likely to see an external spring but the danger is still there if he attempts to split the motor assembly off the sector gear and its frame. On a manual regulator the spring is right out there in the open in all its dangerous glory. Either way that sector gear has enough tension loaded into it that it can cause serious damage to unwary fingers. I have one of them to prove it.

• Wow

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
As for differences in the size of the regulators, wish I could help because I have them both on the bench right now. Thing for me is that until the sawbones clears me for return to normal life I can't access the garage because I can't shovel and it is buried.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
As for differences in the size of the regulators, wish I could help because I have them both on the bench right now. Thing for me is that until the sawbones clears me for return to normal life I can't access the garage because I can't shovel and it is buried.
Where are all the kids in the neighborhood that help out the older generation? Oh wait, we are those kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor