First - Pics.
More words and pics to follow
DSC_0714.JPG
DSC_0715.JPG

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
A little rust was hiding behind the belt line/outer glass sweep. The top panel just below the glass is made of the outer panel and a smaller inside panel, bent to the inside and spot welded. Am I the only one bothered by even a tiny bit of hidden rust? The best way to rust proof is to have the door upside down and let the rustproofing oil run into the small gap between the outer and inner panels. Using a thin spray nozzle I tried spraying upwards into the gap and watch for the oil to seep from between the sections.
DSC_0697.JPG
DSC_0705.JPG

While you have access to the door's guts take a look at the filler at the door reinforcement to panel gap. During assembly globs of glue like material is placed between the reinforcement and outer panel to prevent movement and vibration(I guess). Over time the glue filler falls out. Replace it with blobs of silicone at the top and bottom of the bar.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Can you get a small brush in there and use POR 15 or Eastwood has a rust encapsulating spray can you could try.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor