Status
Not open for further replies.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Bought this set last year: window sweeps
Noted to be for "with special molding".
Pulled the old one off, the sweep part rotted off the chrome beaded assembly so there was a nice gap between the door and glass.
Original with chrome.jpg

I pulled the new ones out of the pkg today, and found they have no chrome bead.
repop no chrome.jpg

Installed one side, really doesn't look right.
anyone used these? Thinking I need to attempt to strip the old rubber and fuzzies off the old chrome beaded backer and sandwhich that between the new sweep and the door frame to complete the OEM look?
Any ideas?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Sell what you have and buy ones with chrome.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There isn't anything really that fits 78-88 in outer window sweeps that I'm aware of. 81-88, sure, but I think you got the ones with the wide B85 molding that sits on the top of some Regal and Cutlass doors from 81-88 era.

Does it look like they should be stapled to something flat on the outer side and has no bead at all? Just wondering. If so, that's probably the wide molding style.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Well, after carefully excising my cranium from my rectum, I found that they fit reasonably well. Don't ask.....
The lip that sits on the door ledge should be where the chrome bead would be is just black rubber. Almost the same shape.
Without seeing the wide molding I don't know if they would work there.
The originals have a solid steel (stainless?) backer that has the bright lip on top, and the sweep looks to be molded to it.
My replacements are nowhere near as sturdy and will probably get additional screws to hold them to the door without gaps.
They'll do for now...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That's strange. But if they fit well and will stop the window from rattling and prevent 40 gallons of water from entering the door, then great!

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Added 3 screws to the sweep backer.
Closed up the gaps and made it sit even.
Looks much better now, and seals up the huge gap that was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor